eighteen

•••

•••

A week had passed, and it had been one of the longest weeks of Ellie's life. She hadn't heard from Bucky since he left and had no idea where he was. Steve, Natasha and Sam decided to stay with her as they didn't want her to have to be alone.

Each day had passed by slowly, and Ellie had relapsed much to her friends' despair.

"Ellie you've got to stop." Natasha sighed as they sat in the kitchen, Ellie extremely hungover from the night before, wearing one of Bucky's old t-shirts, it smelt like him.

"Why?" She shot back, angrily.

"You know damn well why."

"What's the point Nat?" Ellie asked rhetorically, looking down at her hand, where her wedding band lay. Her heart ached for him, every fibre in her body ached for him, she missed him, she wanted him. Correction, she needed him. "He tried to kill me and my son and then my husband left us. So tell me, what the fuck is the point?" She snapped.

"That's exactly it. You're son. He's the point. If you keep drinking it will kill you and then Harry won't have a father or a mother." Natasha knew it was a low blow, but she was desperate.

"I'm sorry." Ellie muttered placing her head in her hands.

"You have to stop." Natasha repeated with a sigh.

"I know, but it's not that easy."

"We know but this is something you have to do, now go and shower, you smell." Sam cut in, earning a middle finger from Ellie.

"Can you watch Harry?" She asked standing up and putting her plate in the sink.

"No, Ellie, I was going to throw him out of a window." Natasha replied, a serious expression on her face.

"Oh haha." She laughed sarcastically as a knock sounded at the door.

"It's Steve, open it on your way up." Sam told her.

"No I was going to leave him out there." Ellie said mimicking Natasha's previous comment.

"You're hilarious." Natasha remarked.

"I know." Ellie smirked, glancing back at Natasha over her shoulder who simply rolled her eyes. "You might be as funny as me one day." She mused, making Sam chuckle.

Ellie opened the front door, the cold spring breeze hitting her bare legs making her shiver slightly, as she locked eyes with the man standing at the door. Bucky stood on her doorstep, a dark stubble formed on his face, dark bags sat under his sad eyes which were filled with tears.

For a moment she stared at him, not sure if he was real. He was crying, he had tears falling down his face, he rarely cried. Her chest ached as she saw him, her Bucky. For a moment she wasn't sure how to react she paused before she shoved him, releasing all of the anger that had built up inside her over the past week.