thirty two

•••

•••

Later that evening Ellie was sat in bed reading, when her ears pricked up at the sound of crying that came from down the hallway, she quickly stood up, leaving her bedroom.

She ran down the hall into her daughters room, where she heard Natasha voice and a child crying.

"What's wrong?" She panicked looking around and making sure that no one was hurt. 

"She's scared of the fireworks."

She breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that no one was physically hurt, then sitting down on the bed next to her daughter.

"It's okay baby." Ellie cooed as she bent down next to her daughter, taking ahold of Natalia's hands.

"You got this?" Natasha confirmed as she stood up, Ellie nodded as she pulled her daughter into her lap, holding her tightly.

"It's okay." She whispered soothingly as she stroked her hair. "They're Just fireworks."

"They're loud." Talia spoke quietly, burying her head in her mothers chest.

"Shall we go and watch them?" Ellie said standing up, her daughters head resting on her shoulder and her legs wrapped around her mothers waist. "And then maybe you'll see that they're not scary."

The young girl jumped in her mothers arm as another firework went off.

"Look." Ellie told her, as she sat down on the floor of the balcony with Natalia on her lap.

"Pretty." She whispered, absentmindedly tracing the tattoo that ran up her mothers right arm as she watched the fireworks. Ellie had 5 tattoos, Bucky's birthday tattooed down her right wrist in Roman numerals, she also had a constellation of her fathers birth month on the top of her left arm, and it had small flowers decorating it. She had a sunflower under her right boob for her mother as it was her favourite flower. And finally she had Harry and Natalia's birthdays tattooed on her left upper back, also in Roman numerals. She was going to get a tattoo for her brothers, Jack and Olly, but then remembered the conversation that they'd once had where the two had told her never to get anything to do with them tattooed on her body.

"Daddy didn't like fireworks." She commented memorably.

"Was he scared of them?"

"He was." Ellie nodded.

"Uncle Steve doesn't like them either." Talia recalled him telling her. "Why?"

Ellie decided to answer honestly, knowing that her husband wouldn't of lied to her, "They fought in the war together and the fireworks sound like gunshots."

"Was Daddy brave?"

"He was the bravest man that I know, Tal." As Ellie looked down at her daughter, and looked into her tearful eyes which reminded her exactly of Bucky's, she also had his eyes, they reminded her exactly of the night she realised, he too was afraid of the fireworks.