thirty nine

•••

•••

Talia wandered around the compound, her small white wolf teddy bear clutched under one arm, and her comforter dragging along on the floor behind her. She had already gone to her mothers bedroom to find her but she wasn't there, so she was trying to find her. The little girl walked down the corridor that led to the kitchen, jumping as she heard a bang on the wall of the glass room. She turned around to see her mom sat on the floor, with dark bags under her eyes and her hair pulled into a loose pony tail.

"Mommy?" Natalia whimpered as Ellie leant her forehead against the cold glass.

"Tal!" She exclaimed, causing the little girl to jump back slightly at her tone. "I-I need you to do something for me."

"What?"

"I need you to go into the kitchen, a-a-and get me, t-t-the clear bottle that's got water in it, it's under the sink." She begged warping the truth slightly, wrapping the blanket even tighter around her shoulders as a cold chill hit her body.

"C-can you make me some toast?" Talia asked her, looking worriedly at her mother who was sweating profusely.

"Damn it Talia! I need you to get me that bottle!" Ellie screamed as she hit the glass, causing her daughters eyes to gloss over with tears.

"Where's Auntie Nat?" The little girl whimpered, backing herself into the opposite wall. That was when Ellie lost it.

"GET OUT! LEAVE! GO AWAY!"

Natalia ran away towards the kitchen as fast as she could, terrified by her mothers screaming and crying.

- -

"So if we can make our own gauntlet..." Tony began, but was cut off as they all heard Ellie start screaming again.

"What the hell?" Rhodey exclaimed as Talia ran and collided with Steve's legs, wrapping her tiny hands around them.

"Hey?" Steve asked her as he bent down to her level and she immediately wrapped her arms around his neck and he picked her up off the ground and she cried into his shoulder. "What wrong?"

"Mommy-Mommy yelled at me."

"What happened?"

"I asked her if she could make me some breakfast and then she screamed at me, a-a-and now she's crying and then when I-I asked her w-where Auntie Nat is she told me to go away." The little girl sobbed as her uncle held her tightly, rocking back and forth with her in his arms.

"It's okay sweetie, It's okay." He repeated as her cries gradually got quieter.

"Does Mommy hate me?" She whispered as Steve sat down next to Carol, allowing the little girl to crawl into Carol's lap, hugging her tightly and then resting her head on her aunts chest.