thirty five

•••

•••

Ellie and Natasha were on the quinjet, flying to Tokyo, which is where Rhodey had tracked Clint to. The two had landed the jet and had followed the obvious trail of bodies until they saw two men in the middle of the street.

The man thrusted the blade downwards into the others stomach, the body of the Japanese man falling limply to the ground, Ellie looked away in horror and Natasha quickly dropped her gaze to the floor. The living man grabbed the sword, and wiped it on his gauntlet, ridding it of the blood of the other. He grabbed his mask off of his head as he felt Ellie and Natasha's presences, turning around slowly to face them. The two women stood under a big umbrella, Natasha wearing a khaki trench coat with a pair of black skinny jeans and some tan heeled boots, whilst Ellie wore a pair of black three-quarter length trousers with a grey overcoat and a pair of black, red-bottom heels.

"You shouldn't be here." Clint Barton muttered solemnly, looking down at the floor.

"Neither should you." Natasha heaved a sigh, tilting her head to the side as she did so.

"I've got a job to do." He almost growled at them, lifting his head up a little to look at them.

"Is that what you're calling this blood bath?" Ellie asked wide-eyed, gesturing to the dead bodies littered around them.

"Killing all these people isn't gonna bring your family back." Natasha practically scolded him as Clint started to look emotional, on the verge of crying as Natasha brought up his dead family.

"We found something. A chance, maybe..." Natasha carefully changed the subject, but he cut her off.

"Don't..." He shook his head forcefully, tears now openly rolling down his tired face.

"Don't what?"

"...don't give me hope."

Ellie couldn't even imagine what it would be like to lose her children as well as her husband like Clint had with his children and his wife.

"I'm sorry we couldn't give it to you sooner."

- - -

The three assassins were on their way back to the compound. Clint and Natasha sat in pilot and co-pilot seats at the front of the plane, whilst Ellie sat in the back. However all of their attention was drawn to the screen as Tony's face popped up on it.

"Oh good you're here." He observed quickly with a sigh, Ellie tilting her head to the side.

"Hello to you too." She mused, sitting in the seat a couple of metres from the screen.

"Yeah, yeah." He waved her off dismissively, "We've got a problem."

"What? What's wrong?" Natasha asked, walking over and standing behind Ellie.