forty nine

•••

•••

Ellie stood in a clearing in the middle of the woods next to Sam and Bucky, whilst Rebecca slept in James' arms and Steve stood beside them with Mjölnir in his hand. Natalia and Harry were with Pietro and Alice who had taken their oldest children to the park. Pietro and Alice had gotten married last month, in a beautiful outdoor ceremony with a reception in a marquee and the night ended with Ellie and Bucky dancing with a sleeping Natalia sleeping in one of Bucky's arms that wasn't wrapped around his wife and their other two kids asleep in a push chair next to Steve. At that moment as Bucky dances with his wife and daughter, he had never felt so happy and so at peace. And now he stood in the middle of the woods with a giant green man, a 100 year old man, a man who flew with mechanical wings, his superhuman wife and a baby.

"Now, remember– You have to return the stones to the exact moment you got them. Or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities." Bruce double checked with Steve the who stood beside Sam in the familiar white and red suit that they wore the last time they travelled through time.

Steve nodded and replied with a reassuring smile, "Don't worry, Bruce. Clip all the branches."

The green giant paused momentarily, looking deep in thought as he glanced at Ellie and Steve, "You know, I tried. When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back. I miss them, man." Ellie gave him a tearful smile and Steve placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Me, too."

"It's not your fault, Bruce." She reassured him, relaxing slightly as Bucky slipped his arm around her waist.

"You know, if you want, I can come with you." Sam opened up an offer to Steve who smiled almost sadly at him.

"You're a good man, Sam. This one's on me, though." The blonde super soldier patted Sam's shoulder before walking over to Ellie and Bucky. The Barnes woman took her baby from her husbands arms and took a step back to allow the two best friends to say their goodbyes.

"Don't do anything stupid 'till I get back." Steve warned Bucky teasingly.

Bucky scoffed and shook his head, "How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you."

Steve sighed and pulled Bucky into a tight hug.

"Gonna miss you, Buddy." Ellie heard Bucky mumble.

His friend nodded sadly before reassuring him, "It's gonna be okay, Buck."

Ellie sighed as Steve turned to face her and pulled her into a gentle hug so not to hurt the baby in her arms.

"Look after him for me?"

"Always." She replied tearfully, "I hope you find what you're looking for."

As Bucky walked over to them Steve joked, "Don't let those kids of yours forget me."

"Don't worry, you're pretty hard to forget." Ellie laughed as he hugged the two of them before leaning down and gently placing a kiss on Rebecca's head.