~3~

FAY

     My legs were crossed Infront of me as I leaned into the soft sofa with my black coffee around my fingers.

"So, tell me." Karen smiled, waiting for me to speak. Karen was my ever attentive therapist, she gave the best advice and she was always there to listen.

Two years ago, I decided I needed a therapist, someone to talk to, someone to confide in, someone who I could trust with my secrets.

In my job, you'd go through some stressful and trying moments, moments where you'd feel lost in yourself. Moments when all you'd want to do is talk about your current situation.

Since I didn't have any Friends, I wasn't planning on telling my mom any of those stuffs, she'd either tell her wife or her high class friends and before I know it, my secrets would be the headline of the weeks magazine.

"There's this brunch coming up and there's a big chance my moms are going to be coming." I informed.

"Oh, so, how do you feel about this?"

"Terrified." I said. "I know it's just my mom but then again- it's my mom. And Elroy is planning to talk her into letting me end my contract with Yvonne Deere's Industry."

"The Same industry that's in competition with his?"

"Yes. I really don't want to quit but now that he wants to involve my mother, I'm not really sure."

Karen sighed. "How are things with you and Elroy?"

"He still hates me," I took a sip of the coffee. "For God knows what. I tried hugging him yesterday, but he pushed me."

"You know, sometimes when someone is trying to run away from feelings that they don't really want to accept, they tend to push away the source of those feelings, and in your case, I think Elroy is trying to evade the inevitable." Karen said.

"Why do you say that?"

"You both have been living together for like, a year. Staying together tends to bring this familiarity between each other, I can see that it's already affecting you."

"It's not, trust me... I can't stand him."

"That's what your mind says. But your heart is speaking another language, your heart pushed you into hugging him, you felt the need to breach that void between the both of you."

I stopped to think. "Well yeah but- it's only because of Melissa, she has high hopes for Elroy and I, I'm only trying to make something out of the relationship. But he's making it difficult."

"Then try harder."

"How long?" I asked "How long am I going to keep on trying to get through to him? He's difficult."

"That is only because he doesn't want to accept the feelings that are already there, in his head."

I sighed. "You don't get it. Last year at his annual success party, he told me never to kiss him again, and it wasn't as if I kissed him on the lips or anything, it was just his cheek. He didn't talk to me for weeks after that, he ignored me."

"That's his way of dealing, Fay."

"Is it? My thoughts about this is that, Elroy doesn't see me as a woman, he isn't affected by my looks or my body or anything, I'm just some sort of material placed in his life to make him look good to the public. He sees me like everyone everyone else does."

"How are you sure about this?" Karen asked.

"Come on Karen. I've been living with him for over a year and half and he hasn't even made an attempt to touch me or kiss me or look at me the way those sex starved photographers do." I said. "I mean, it's not like there's something wrong with my body is there? I mean, he's been with other women before and that is enough to proof to know that he's not gay." I sighed.

"And the fact that he hasn't treated you like a boyfriend would treat his girlfriend is bothering you?"

I shrugged. "Kinda. But I don't care anyway."

"Are you giving up?"

"I don't know what to do any more Karen, he's not even trying to put efforts into this relationship."

Karen sat up straight. "Okay, I'm gonna have to switch from Doctor to friend for this next part." She said.

"Okay, I'm listening." I urged her to continue.

"Have you tried seduction?" She asked.

I tried so hard not to choke on my coffee. "Seduction? No, I haven't."

"Why don't you give it a try? It would open his eyes to the things he hasn't been noticing before." Karen suggested.

Seduction? I mean, it could work but- there's an eighty percent chance that it would backfire, I mean, we're talking about Elroy here.

I bit my lower lips in deep thoughts. "I doubt it."

"I don't- he's a full blooded man Fay, there's no doubt about this in my mind- if you want to make him notice you, you'd have to do what it takes. But first, How bad do you want this relationship to work?"

I paused to think.

Elroy wasn't all that bad... Devilishly handsome, smooth American accent, lovely smile, when he fakes or when he smiles for real. He was perfect in his appearance but inwardly, he was an ass, a jerk who cared only about himself.

But sometimes I still feel like there's some good hidden somewhere inside that black heart of his.

There were sometimes when it was almost like he cared about me. Sometimes when everyone would give that baby cute awnnn at his behavior towards me, although he'd later tell me that he was faking it, but I wasn't convinced.

Like that one time last year, on the boys birthday, December 14th. They were celebrating their 24th birthday. They were two years older than me, I was just 22. This year, I'd be 23, by October 15th.

I mistakenly cut myself with a knife while trying to slice an Apple for Aunt May's kid. Aunt May was Elroy's closest thing to a mother, since she was their mothers' sister.

When Elroy noticed the cut on my finger, he rushed to me, asking for a first aid kit. I told him I was fine but he didn't listen, he washed away the blood in the basin, but the cut was still threatening to pour out more blood. When the first aid kit didn't come early, he shoved my finger into his mouth, trying to stall the bleeding. That day, I had a glimmer of hope that our relationship had meaning, but when we left together, he told me it was all an act.

But still, it felt good to see him that worried about me. I felt loved.

"I want it to work, Badly." I blurted.

"Then you'd be willing to take any risk. You both have been together for over three years now, Don't you think it's high time you start enjoying the perks of being in a relationship?" Karen asked.

I sighed. "I want to enjoy it, but the question is, does he?"