29

FAY

The coffee wasn't too hot, but it was enough for me to start my day. I smiled at Melissa across the table. "You make a killer coffee." I complimented.

She grinned. "I know, my husband... God bless his soul, used to like it very much."

"It's really nice." I said.

She smiled warmly at me. "Thank you dear. How is Elroy by the way, I tried reaching him this morning but his number wasn't going through."

"Oh, uh... He's probably at work. You know with the pre merge program and everything, he has to prepare the designs."

"I understand. How are things between the both of you."

Hm. "I honestly don't know." I muttered. "But he's uh... Improving. I guess."

Melissa smiled. "You have to be patient with him. Elroy can be really difficult to handle, trust me."

I sighed. "I know that. But-- sometimes I don't understand him."

"Me and you both... But I try." Melissa said. "He used to be the easiest to handle, Cade was way worse than he is right now, but as time flew by, Cade stopped talking, and whenever he did, everyone would be slightly happy, Elroy started to draw farther away from everyone, became distant, rude and uncontrollable. He got me and his aunt worried. Damien was and still is the cool headed one amongst the three of them." Melissa sipped her coffee.

"What happened?" I asked. "What really happened to Elroy? Why did he change?" I asked, suddenly interested in that part of his past.

I never saw the need to ask before. He didn't matter to me before, but now- I was beginning to care about him. I was beginning to see him differently.

Melissa smiled sadly. "Elroy wasn't always like this... He was different, he was nice, cheerful, playful... He loved smiling, there was hardly a time you'd see Elroy frown... No matter how Cade or Damien pissed him off, he'd always smile and shake it off."

I raised my brows. "Are you kidding, Mel?"

She laughed. "I'm not, I know you find it difficult to believe."

"It is difficult to believe, or even picture Elroy as an happy child. I mean, this is Elroy we're talking about."

"I know. I wouldn't believe it either, that is if I didn't know him before. He was the sweetest child anyone could possibly ask for."

"So what happened?" I asked.

"He turned 14." Melissa said, her eyes went a bit dark. "Right after his parents death."

"Their death changed him?" I asked, feeling sad for him... It wasn't easy to lose a parent, it was the worst feeling.

"It changed everyone. But- Elroy never grew from it... It's almost like he's stuck in that age and time, not moving forward, not going anywhere. From that day, he stopped smiling. That bright boy was gone. He changed so much that he locked himself in doors all day, paid more attention to his books, ignored the presence of people, hated body contact, hated everything around him... He became rude, didn't care about people's feelings, he just acted without thinking. I knew it wasn't going to stop, that's why I brought you into his life." She smiled at me.