58

ELROY

    Slipping out of bed was the easy part.

But getting down the stairs was harder than I thought it would be. My head was pounding and I felt sick to the stomach.

I tried to sleep it off but I couldn't.

I have never, ever since I took over Sparks, slept the night before a merge program.

Maybe that was why I felt like hell right now, maybe my body wanted the work or maybe deep down I felt like I shouldn't be sleeping this night off, I should be working.

Working to make the best of tomorrow, to emerge the Victor as always.

But I was hella tired. I needed the rest and my body knew it.

I got comfortable on a dinning chair, pulled open my laptop and then I went through the thousands of emails, one by one. With a chilled water beside me, my nerves began to settle down.

I knew cold water wasn't really good for me, but hell... It helped calm the raging in my head, and it slapped me fully awake.

I know I promised Fay I wouldn't work for tonight, but since I couldn't sleep, and working seemed to make me feel better, then... Why not work?

She was asleep upstairs, so it would and should be easy to just go through all of these emails and documents then slip right into bed without her knowing I was ever gone.

There was an important email from Mr. Chang. He sounded so pissed at my absence of yesterday's rehearsals but he sent me a full plan of how everything would go, and he needed me to select the perfect models for the beginning of the showcase and the ending... Pending.

Carter emailed the names of the models and what each and everyone of them would wear for each collections and that I needed to be there to change and remove some mistakes before they lunch it online... Pending.

There was another email from my technical team, saying they managed to find the perfect playlist but they would need my authorization before they do anything about it... Pending.

Catherine wanted to know which roll I would prefer to snatch up for my very important investors, she wanted to know where the designs would be displayed in the hall and I needed to be there to see things through... Pending.

Carter emailed again, saying I was the only one missing from the preparations and everyone thinks my chances of winning this year was slim... He told me to drop whatever it is I'm doing and come over before Yvonne and the other five competitors take all the available spots... Pending.

The merge team sent several emails, most of them sent within an hour interval. The first was for a short meeting at the headquarters which happened just about the time Fay and I were leaving. The second was to inform me that they would need my signature for a very important cause and I was the only one yet to give my signature.

The third was them telling me to be around for the collection showcase before today's program.

The fourth was them telling me they didn't appreciate the fact that I missed all the meetings and asked my assistant to send an email to them with my showcase. It isn't professional, they said.