56

ELROY

    "It took you long enough." Was her first sentence to me, when she spotted me approaching her office. She smiled up at me, her lips curving into an uncomfortable smile, the same one I used to like.

God, what did I even see in her? Why was I so drawn to such a woman? Was there a mask over my eyes? Not only today did I realize the extent she would go to get what she wanted.

She dropped her pen and stood up, walking out from behind her desk.

"I'd suggest you just stay right where you are, I only came here to get somethings straight with you." I said coldly.

She sighed. "I see Fay has spoken with you."

"She has. And I just can't believe you Yvonne... What the hell did you fill her head with?"

"The truth." She shrugged. "I told her we kissed and I told her you still loved me. Isn't that the truth?"

I raked my hands through my hair. "Yes, we kissed. But that was just it, I didn't kiss you back because I loved you-"

"But you said-"

"I don't love you Yvonne. I loved the relationship we once had. It was the first time I tried out dating, the first time I fell in love. The first time I trusted someone enough to spill my heart out to, and also the first time I got that same heart broken. I don't love you Yvonne, neither do I want to have anything to do with you. Fay is all I care about, she's all I love... She's real. You were just- just not."

She frowned. "So what? You're trying to say you don't love me? That you don't feel anything for me?"

"You are my past Yvonne. My past. Fay is my present. We once had a relationship, the same one you ruined, and right now, I'm grateful for that, because if I had remained with you, I wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to meet someone like Fay, I would have been stuck with someone as deceitful as you... It would have been a disaster."

"So what are you doing here then? Why aren't you with your precious Fay."

I clenched my jaw.

"Did she break up with your sorry ass? If she did, then I'm glad. She just saved herself from a man who only thinks about himself... Who whines about every little thing that doesn't come his way... A man who can't even let go of his pathetic past." She spat out.

"Nice preach, but I only came here to drill a hole in that little head of yours and fill it with these words. 'you and I can never, ever be together again.' maybe there was a time ago when I thought you were everything, when I thought I'd finally found someone who I could trust. But you were just a phase I had to go through, our relationship led me to Fay... And honestly, I have you to thank. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have truly realized what she meant to me."

She looked broken beyond words, the grip she had on her chair was really strong that it turned her knuckles white.

"So what? This is you trying to hurt me with your words?" She asked, her voice thick.

"No. This is me letting you go. This is me ending whatever it was we had. This is me, saying goodbye."

If glares could kill, I would be dead.