Chapter 34

"Mark," Jeno calls out to the zoned-out boy, waving a hand in his face. "Earth to Mark Lee."

Mark has been pretty out of it all day. He acted all zombie-like throughout classes, didn't reply when people try to conversate with him, he pushed away any girls who tried to get close, especially Yujin who wanted a little attention that day and him doing that only made her upset.

Now, he was in the cafeteria, head resting on his folded arms as he stares off into space, not paying attention to a word Jeno was saying.

Jeno tsk, rolling his eyes, feeling annoyed that he was being ignored by his best friend.

He's had enough.

He pinches Mark's nose, twisting slightly but just enough to draw out pain to snap him out of it. Mark groans out in shock, hands immediately locking onto the younger's arm.

"Ow! What the f–"

"Hey, what's wrong with you?" Jeno asks, pointing the tip of his chopsticks right at him. "I refuse to be ignored by the likes of you for the rest of the day."

"Sorry," He apologies with a deep breath, fingers running through his dark hair. "What did I miss?"

Jeno scoffs, a chuckle following after. He picks at the meat on his tray, eyes gazing up at Mark to see if he was serious. He really wasn't paying attention to anything.

The expression on his face made him feel some type of way. He doesn't know. He could have been zoning off during an important, heartfelt conversation and not know anything.

He was already starting to feel bad.

"Oh, nothing," Jeno sighs, now placing the chopsticks down on the metal tray, leaving a mild ring throughout Mark's ears. "Yeri said to meet her during your free period."

"No, thanks." He rolls his eyes, head returning its rightful place between his folded arms.

"Why not?" Jeno questions with a frown. "You like her. You can ask her out."

"No, you thought I liked her," He tsks. "Bunch of crap."

Jeno doesn't question him further. He can tell by the seriousness in his voice that something was wrong with him. He didn't want to push him and make him more upset than he already seemed to be.

Mark clears his throat, trying to switch up the subject. "Anyway, where's Jaemin?"

"Wow, you must really not have been paying attention," He chuckles, laying his cheek upon his hand. "He left like ten minutes ago."

"Why?" Mark mumbles from under his fort.

"He went to talk to that girl," His eyes wander off around the room as he speaks. "His ex-girlfriend... Y/N, I think?"

At that, Mark's head pops up immediately, glaring at Jeno in a weird way once your name is mentioned. Once Jeno's eyes meet Mark's uneasy ones, his brows arch in utter confusion.

Mark tenses a bit. "Wh... Why?"

"Mmm, something about getting back toge–"

And before he could finish, Mark stands up almost immediately. Jeno flinches, looking at him as Mark begins to grab his stuff and next thing he knows, he's bolting out the cafeteria in the speed of light.

Jeno purses his lips as he scratches at the side of his head, bewilderment is written all over his face.

"Did I say something wrong?"

💐💐💐💐💐

"Jungwoo! Sana!"

Mark finally runs into him, having to look everywhere for the two. He's out of breath, hands resting on his knees as he lets out heavy puffs, trying to catch his breath.