Chapter 49

The next day, as planned, you got ready to spend the day with your mom. For some reason, you were nervous. It's been almost a year since you've seen your mother and you were afraid you'd have to continue to lie to her about what's been happening ever since she was gone. Growing up, you and your her had this thing to always be honest with one another, but that's been hard to do ever since you met Mark. You're probably not even going to tell her about what happened between you and your father.

You were in your room, trying your best to brush your hair into a decent ponytail. As you tie the scrunchie, there's a familiar knock on the door. Already knowing who it was, you don't say anything since they usually just let themselves in any way.

"Why are you up so early?" Mark questions, wearily, scratching the back of his head as he plops down on your bed.

"It's noon."

"Oh? Then I'm going back to bed." He belly flops on to your bed, grabbing one of your pillows to cuddle with. One of his arms raises, signaling you to join him in the comfort of your bed. You decline his offer by shaking your head while you continue to neaten your appearance. Mark looks you up and down, scrutinizing you, basically checking you out. You feel his gaze bore into the back of your head, but you just decide to ignore it.

Your surprised when a pair of arms wrap around you suddenly which causes you to turn around briefly. When he tugs at the hem of your dress, you stare at him, brows knitted, and confusion was written across your face. "What?"

"If you're wearing something that short, I assume it's for me." He utters lowly, still tugging. "Maybe you should change."

It was a casual dress. About an inch or two above your knees. It was a gift from your mom and you thought since you were going to be spending the rest of the day with her, you might as well put it to good use. "Why should I?" You frown, jerking down the hem of it to keep it from rising. 

He shakes his head, never mind. "Where you going anyway?"

"Out." You state. "Behave while I'm gone."

Mark huffs, plopping himself down on his bed. "Can't you stay and play with me?" When you deny his childish offer and stroke his hair, he pulls you closer towards him as he pouts.

"Your mom is still here. Talk to her."

He groans, head falling back, somewhat displeased with your suggestion. His fingers glide up and down the back of your thighs inattentively which sent a minor chill up your back. You only sigh at how puerile and amorous he was at the moment. "Please?"

You cup his face in your hands, giving his cheeks light pats as you lean in. "Rules are rules. Control your hormones."

At that, he huffs then pouts, pulling away from you to lean back against his elbows. He accepts that you need your freedom and time with your mother since he can't be selfish and keep you for twenty-four hours a day even though he wants to so bad. "If I get blue balls, it's your fault."

You just ignore him, continuing to get ready to leave.

💐💐💐💐💐

You don't know whence the last time you've ever been so edgy. You've wiped the palm of your clammy hands at the ends of your dress when your mother began to ask a few questions about how you've been and how was school. You responded with simple answers, avoiding her gaze by looking at your surroundings or stir around the ice cubes in your glass with the straw.

 At the moment, you were at a restaurant seated in the outdoor area. You glance over at the cars that were passing by then you look back over at her before sighing. "I'm sorry... but this is..."