Temporary Goodbyes and Rebirth

Did you like Hope when she was younger or as teen? The italics are referencing the goodbye dreams Elena has with everyone she loves before she goes to sleep.

"Out of everyone you have literally been the person who's been with me since the beginning." My sister looks at me and as we sit in our family home. In our living room where we had the best talks and some of our worst fights. "I never wanted to hurt you Sofia."

"Elena..."

"No, I was selfish in everything when it came to your choices. Especially Klaus. I never understood the kind of love you couldn't deny."

"I don't want you to leave me, Elena."

"I'll never leave you. I'm still here and I will always be here. I know losing your baby was a pain I could never imagine."

"I would never wish that kind of pain on anyone. We've been through a lot together." I spot a family photo album and we flip through it. We both smile seeing us at our first cheerleading game when we were five. Visiting mom in the hospital right after she had Jeremy. Us fighting over who would be the better big sister. I believe I won that one. Everything in our lives is flashing before us and can't help but feel such joy from it.

"We were so happy and unaware of the world around us." Elena comments resting her head on my shoulder. "I used to always compare myself to you. I was a complete failure compared to you."
"What are you talking about? You're amazing."

"Sofia you've never seen how spectacular you are."

"Lenny..."

"No, you were recruited to study at a prestigious music school but denied it because you didn't want mom and dad to spend too much money. You didn't want to leave me and Jeremy. You've always put your happiness last and now it's your time."

"Elena...I..."

"I know I haven't always seen it but I'm telling you right now. I love the way you are when you're with Klaus. You're not afraid to be amazing and I love the person he makes you be. You're stronger, more confident and overall the person I will always admire." This brings tears to my eyes.

"What will I do without you?"

"You will thrive as you always have. You will make a difference and for one thing, you will see your daughter." My eyes widen as she says this. "I know better than anyone when you're lying. I also know you wouldn't have come if Bonnie asked for a favor if your baby was actually dead."

"How...how long have you known?"

"For a while, but it's not my place to question. I figured there had to be a reason you and Klaus want everyone to think your daughter is dead. I hope whatever the reason is it will eventually allow you to be reunited with her." I rush into my sister's arms and we cry onto each other's shoulders.

"Why do I feel like this will be the last time I will see you?" I ask through sobs.

"It won't be. I'll see you and that beautiful niece of mine grow up to be a wonderful person."

"How long will I be without my sister?"

"I don't know but it will be for some time. But I know you will continue to be the most amazing person that I know."

"I died and never got to tell you or Jeremy goodbye and now you're what?"

"I'll be asleep for the time being but it will be for the best."