Planning Life

I hope you all enjoy this little chapter explaining some of the time gap in The Originals. I also will explain why the kids call Hayley mama Hayley.

"Wait is the wedding on or off?" I ask Caroline as I gather the kid's things.

"That is still to be determined."

"Caroline Forbes! I am trying to get two children ready for a road trip. Either you're getting married or not."

"It's complicated. Please still come. It will be good to see my niece and nephew and besides we need to catch up. Bonnie could really use your advice." I pace around the room.

"I know she needs me after everything that happened to Enzo because of Stefan I need to be there for her but...it's dangerous enough that I would risk seeing everyone for your wedding."

"We can protect you."

"It's not just me." I snap and I feel bad for it.

"What do you mean? I thought everything was fine."

"I'm not in New Orleans."

"What? Where the hell are you then?"

"I can't tell you Care. I can't tell anyone. I...things got bad in New Orleans the prophecy came true and our family fell apart." I try keeping it together knowing my children could hear me. "Short story the only way to save the Mikaelson's was for Klaus to sacrifice himself."

"Sofia is Klaus dead?" She asks and I shake my head.

"He's being held prisoner by Marcel for everything his family has done. It's been four years Care. Hayley and I have been raising the kids on our own while we search for a cure and find a way to save Klaus."

"Why after all this time tell me now? I've talked to you and you never once hinted at this."

"It wasn't your problem to bare. Hayley and I have it under control but...your wedding just reminded me of him and our family."

"You need to come to Mystic Falls. Get out of whatever hell you're living in and come home."

"Home is something I can't go to Care." I'm full-on crying now. "My home is my children and the man I love and I don't have that."

"You and Hayley okay?"

"She's been amazing. We've taken turns leaving to search for answers on curing the Mikaelson's and raising the children together as a united front. I...almost five years ago I would have gladly killed her. And now she's co-parenting my children with me and they call her mama Hayley."

"Why in the hell would they call her that?"

"Because she is their godmother and basically a second mother to them. They fluctuate from Hayley to mama Hayley. It hurt when I first heard my children call her that."

"You're always their mother."

"I fear sometimes they will want her more than me because she's stronger in handling all of this."

"I highly doubt that."

"I cry myself to sleep every night. I spell my room with sage so my children don't hear me."

"It's okay to be vulnerable. It doesn't make you weak."

"We've been searching for four years and we are at a standstill. We have one more member of the 7 wolf packs and it seems like their line is all dead. There is no one else to help find a cure which means Klaus can't be freed and my children won't have their father."