Chap 2: New Asgard

Kamilla: A few seconds later

After navigating my way through the quantum realm, I find myself on-board Thor's spaceship, hidden in a tiny closet just as I planned. I can't see anything, so I create a tiny flame that floats in my hand as I look around. The closet is full of shelves stocked with food I don't recognize. I notice a jar of what looks like eyeballs and a large can of what appears to be blue carrots. The room is cold; this should be the food storage room on the furthest side of the ship. The room that I called Thor about, asking him to describe in great detail, less than a week ago. I'm careful not to make a sound as I slide down onto the floor. Quickly I cast a small spell on the door so that no one else can get in. Now all I have to do is wait, and pray I'm not discovered. I hear the sounds of tearing metal, and I know we're being fired at. Several more blasts hit the ship as it shudders violently. Then the explosions stop, and the Asgardian refugee spaceship goes still. I know this means that Thanos and his minions are boarding the ship. I hold my breath and cover my ears, not wanting to hear what I know comes next. A few moments later, people begin to scream. At first the screams are angry cries of battle, but very quickly they morph into piercing screams of agony and death. Eight minutes later, the screaming stops. This will work, I whisper to myself, trying to take my mind off of all the Asgardians that have just been slain. I can do this, I've spent the last week preparing for this very moment. I wait a few more minutes until suddenly I feel my enchantment activate, Loki has finally pushed the button on the device I gave him. Immediately I set my timer for six minutes. With the clock ticking, I tilt my head and listen for Thor's muffled shout. It's so quiet that I barely hear it, but thanks to the spell I cast on myself earlier, I have amplified hearing. One minute later Loki's unconscious body appears before me and I jump to my feet. His narrow face is unusually pale, and he's got dark finger-shaped bruises covering his throat. Blood drips from his nose and mouth, and his veins and eyes are bulging. He looks dead, but I know it's just an illusion. I use my magic to help me put the extra Avengers suit I brought onto his body. Then I extinguish the flame in my hand, plunging us both into darkness. I silently lean him against the wall, but his body is limp and heavy, and I struggle to prop him up. I sit down next to him and listen, holding my breath. If we are found, I have no doubt we'll be slaughtered on sight. I close my eyes and use my magic to heighten my senses and feel for the magic of the infinity stones. On the other side of the ship I sense them, Thanos is using the space stone to open a portal through space. I hear the sound of nearby explosions as I glance back at my watch, two minutes have passed. I've only got four minutes before Loki's brain starts dying and he dies for real. That is, if I've timed this exactly right.

With no time to lose, I feel around for the button on Loki's Avengers suit and push his and mine at the same time. And just before we are caught in the ship's explosion, we're instantly transported into the quantum realm. I'm still clinging to his waist as I drag him through the quantum realm behind me. I must hurry! I remind myself.

Finally, we appear in the Avengers lab, in 2023, back to the time I came from. Thankfully the room is still empty; the white, neat laboratory is silent and still. The Avengers should still be in their meeting with Dr. Strange and are hopefully, none the wiser. And I expect the meeting to go on for at least another ten minutes. I glance at my watch, my heart beating wildly, three minutes and thirty seconds left. With my free hand I pluck a piece of hair from Loki's head and use it to create a portal to New Asgard, in Norway. Then I drag him through and shut the portal behind me as fast as possible. I lay him down in the grass and with a flick of my wrist, I restore both Loki and I to our normal clothes. Instantly he's back in his black suit, and I'm back in my black leggings and black tank top. I briefly glance around to make sure nobody has followed me. It's nighttime in Norway, there are a few stars out, but it's too dark for anyone to see us from a distance. The timer goes off with a ding, and I immediately break the enchantment that's keeping him unconscious. The illusion disappears and his face looks normal, as his pulse returns slowly. I breathe a sigh of relief, "Loki, wake up!" I whisper urgently shaking his shoulder. Instantly his eyes snap open and he begins gasping for breath, gulping down air as if he can't get enough.