Chap 19: The Fool & The Magician

Kamilla:

He thinks he's so damn clever, I mutter to myself. I roll my eyes; I'm not going to let him get to me. I look down at the rest of the armor in my arms and beam brightly. Finally, after so many years of being weak, I've found a way to make myself invincible! As I'm putting on the armor, I let out a happy squeal; it's beautiful!

But once I've finished putting on every piece, I feel a ferocious rush of magic hit me so powerfully; it nearly knocks me over. With a burning intensity, the full weight of the magical armor hits me, and I realize just how heavy and cumbersome it is. I wobble as I struggle to remain upright, bogged down by the hefty armor. Sweat pools at my back and brow as my body grows unnaturally warm. Eitri's dire warning replays in my mind; he was right, this is too much power for one human to contain. I clench my teeth and dig my nails into my palms; I don't care!

My thoughts have dulled slightly and my body is both on fire and sluggish, but I push past the discomfort. I'm determined to make this work. I roll my shoulders back and hold my head up high, I've been through worse than this! All I have to do is make it look easy.

I take my first step forward using every ounce of strength I can muster and slowly shufle to the narrow stairs laboriously. I'm breathing heavily, and dripping sweat from the effort, but I keep my face relaxed so I appear calm and collected. I take my time as I slowly head towards the spaceship, knowing all the while that Loki plans to ditch Thor and I. I sigh, at least he chose ditching us, over killing us.

My heart breaks a little at the thought of separating our happy little family. Loki always thinks he has to do everything on his own. I shake my head, I know they're not really my family, but for the last few days, it felt like they were. I felt like I was a part of something wonderful; like I was finally whole. I don't want us to go our separate ways, and yet I know that once Loki makes up his mind, there's no changing it. He wants to keep his brother safe from Death, and he probably can't wait to get rid of me. My shoulders sag as I continue down the steps. Why am I trying so hard to win him over, when he clearly can't stand me? Maybe I should stay behind and stay with Thor. My heart warms at the thought of Thor, he's been the best friend I've ever had and I know he'll always be there for me. I try to picture life at Thor's side; we'll join the Guardians of the Galaxy just as I hoped and go on crazy adventures together. I smile at the thought; it's a beautiful dream. But my heart wants something else. I know exactly who I will always choose, common sense be damned.

Once I reach the bottom of the stairs, I see Thor laid out carefully on the ground. When I get closer, I notice his eyes are fluttering gently open and he's waking up.

"I'm sorry!" I murmur quickly, unsure if he can hear me, then I jump into action placing my hands on his forehead enchanting him back to sleep. I smile sadly as his body relaxes and he begins snoring, and I know this is goodbye. My heart is heavy, I squeeze my eyes shut, trying not to cry as I feel my dream shatter to the ground into a million pieces. This is not going according to my plan at all! I hadn't counted on Death being real and ruining everything!

Brutal devastation hits me like a swift punch to the gut. What am I going to do without my best friend Thor? Loki only sees me as an enemy. And as much as I want him to, I doubt he'll ever trust me. I huff, I'll just have to make him trust me!

"I never meant for this to happen." I whisper to him miserably, "I really am sorry."

I know Thor won't easily forgive either of us for abandoning him. And I open my eyes as realization dawns... he won't know what happened at all. He'll just assume that Death took us, after she knocked him unconscious. And he'll spend the rest of his life hunting Death trying to get to us. I take the small notebook out of my purse that once contained the vial of vibranium and begin to scribble a hurried explanation.