Chap 35: Encounters With The All-Mothers

Loki:

Loki:

After I've taunted Sif mercilessly enough that my irritation has faded, I move to the kitchen drinking coffee and pretending to eat, avoiding both women as we soar over Vanaheim. I still don't have words to explain exactly what I'm feeling towards Kamilla; all I know for certain is that the allure of wanting something I can't have is gone. Half of me burns with disgust, while the other half leaps with joy. She wants me! She sees me for what I am and yet she still wants me. I don't know what to make of it. I shrug it off, it doesn't matter. I'm better than this. I don't need her. Or anyone for that matter. I've always been and always will be better off alone.
But the guilt thats been needling at me rears its ugly head, all this time I've been planning on giving her life in exchange for mine when Death finally shows up. And even though she seemed okay with that, I can't shake the mounting guilt. Either way one of us is doomed and I need to stop lulling myself into complacency, as if there's a world where we can ever find happiness together.

I focus my thoughts on self-preservation. I was hoping to keep my resurrection a secret, but even if I glamour myself in a disguise I'm certain the loathsome Sif will expose me. And I know Idunna the All-Mother will instantly recognize me in my female form. My mind drifts back to the time when I ran away from home to live as a woman with Amora the Enchantress. It was a particularly dull day, when she and I decided to steal from Idunna's forbidden tree of golden apples. Odin had appointed Idunna to be the official guardian of the healing apples on Asgard. She of course, threatened to slay anyone who dare steal the magically healing fruit from her. Amora and I had no need of healing, but we were desperately bored and in need of a challenge. Fortunately for us, Fandral's young daughter Kelda was cursed with sickness and needed healing. But Odin wouldn't grant her a magically healing apple, as she was only half Asgardian and therefore not a citizen. Amora and I promised Fandral that in exchange for his most prized possession, we'd steal an apple for him. So, while I distracted Idunna by claiming to be a lost maiden, Amora used her magic to pluck two golden apples from the ancient tree and we disappeared. She kept one for herself and gave the other to Fandral and he was unsurprisingly elated, until we named our price. We demanded Fandral's twelve prized horses which were known throughout the realms for their beauty and strength in exchange for the magic apple. He'd bred and raised the horses by hand since birth and true to form, he never missed an opportunity to brag about their pointless superiority. To my delight and with no shortage of grumbling and bitterness, Fandral handed over all twelve of his precious horses. So Amora and I rode his horses right in front of him taunting Fandral all the while, content to rub his nose in his loss as much as possible. But wretched Idunna, as dull and humorless as ever, alerted my father to our scheme and Odin publicly shamed me in front of everyone. He insisted I give Fandral back all his horses and ordered Amora to return the uneaten apple. My father banished her to Earth and forbade me from spending time with her, but to his deep displeasure, that only served to strengthen my resolve. I continued to sneak away from home and cause mischief with Amora on Earth as often as I could. I chuckle at the memory, Amora and I did have some fabulous adventures back then. We were so good together; It's a shame it all went wrong...