Chap 31: Some Wheels Just Keep Turning

Kamilla:

As I enter the kitchen I notice Sif rummaging through the kitchen cupboards while jotting quick notes on a small brown clipboard. I slip into the kitchen silently waiting for her to either notice me or explain herself, but she doesn't acknowledge my presence. Sif seems to have a warm contented glow about her; as her silver-red armor shimmers in the cabin light, making her look both mysterious and magical. I open my mouth to ask her what she's doing, but nothing comes out. There's something so intimidating about this legendary Asgardian, how can one person be both beautiful and powerful? Both alluring and alarming? She's beyond stunning; she is the peak of perfection in every way.

I cringe, she's everything I'm not. Sif  commands so much power with such ease, that I can't help but feel a pang of jealousy as my eyes track her graceful movements. Sif searches the kitchen swiftly, her round hips swaying slightly; exuding so much confidence that I doubt she's ever felt the smallest hint of insecurity or fear. I imagine she's lived a lavish life where everything comes easily for her, and a small part of me begins to swell with hatred.  

Suddenly my hair starts prickling on the back of my neck and I get the strange sensation that we're being watched. I fold my hands in my lap and fiddle with the buttons on my sleeves, my thoughts racing. Loki wouldn't spy on us, would he? I roll my eyes, who am I kidding, of course he would. Better watch what I say.

"So," I say gingerly, still intimidated by Sif's tough demeanor but desperate to break the ice, "Your buddy Hoder... just how long has he been in love with Tarna?"

Sif throws her head back in an unexpected laugh, her calloused exterior softening, "I wouldn't say love, more like obsession. Back on Asgard he was as popular with the women as Fandral was. Women threw themselves at him and he became accustomed to it. At first, Tarna not giving him the time of day was a shock to him, but now I think it's what keeps him infatuated with her."

"So that's why he decided to stay on Klyntar rather than return to be with his brothers in Nornheim?"

Sif puts her clipboard away and nods slightly, then points her narrow chin up high, "He's convinced himself that in time he'll win her over. He's always trying to impress her." Sif pauses to chuckle, before adding, "But she's much too clever to show the slightest bit of interest in Hoder."

"Yes, unrequited love is a fool's errand." I reply without thinking.

Sif grimaces as if struck, and her eyes dart away, "Not as foolish as you'd think."

I suspect by the look of longing in her eyes, that she emphasizes with Hoder, because of her unrequited love for Thor. So I change the subject quickly, not wanting to scare her away. "I don't mean to interrupt your inventory taking, but well, something's been sort of bugging me since the moment we met." I pause, then decide to just get to the point, "Why do you want Loki dead?"

Sif cocks her head slowly, with an appraising look as she pulls a small red apple from her pocket, before countering, "The real question is, why don't you?"

"Excuse me?"

Sif swiftly pulls a dagger from her other pocket and begins peeling her apple methodically as she leans against the shiny metal kitchen counter. "Surely you are aware that Loki cannot be trusted." She continues calmly, "It is his nature to betray. He is naught but a child. One who will inevitably be your undoing." She raises an accusing gaze towards me, "But you already know that, don't you Earth girl?"

I begin picking at my sleeve silently, as uncertainty floods my veins and I recall my most recent nightmare. Out of the corner of my eye I watch as Sif's gaze roams over me, then she clicks her tongue as if just realizing something. "Or maybe you're more like him than I realized. Perhaps it's you I need to keep an eye on."