Chap 38: Dangerous Games of Love and War

Kamilla:

The warm sunshine illuminates the bronze metal welded around the gigantic airship in front of me. The intricate craftsmanship that welds the balloon together reminds me of a steampunk styled blimp I've read about in fictional books back home. The large torpedo-shaped balloon has a shimmering bronze balcony circling around its base, held taught by pulleys and various mechanical gadgets. And the broad balcony is lined by a heavy metal railing to prevent passengers from falling out and is overflowing with several velvet cushions and luxurious victorian style sofas. Coraline ushers Loki onto her enormous airship as they continue conversing about the mechanical intricacies of achieving flight, as I stare on in complete awe. Having only just gotten used to seeing spaceships, I'm struck by the ingenuity and the brilliance of Coraline's incredible invention. The airship is easily a hundred times bigger than any blimp that ever took flight on Earth and much more technologically advanced. Leon winks at me playfully when he notices my hesitation, then smoothly links his arm with mine and leads me onto the polished bronze platform that glimmers in the noonday sun. Once we're settled in, I watch on in amazement as Coraline slips into the pilot's cabin and begins to pull various switches causing the engine to whir to life as we smoothly lift off the ground. I'm seated next to Loki and Leon on a purple velvet chaise next to the railing as Coraline enthusiastically pilots the ship higher and higher, gliding slowly over large fields of orange and pink daisies. The cobalt blue sky is dotted with see-through cotton clouds and the two sun's beam delicious rays of warm light that soak into my skin. I close my eyes and let their warmth sooth me, bringing back long forgotten memories of a childhood spent climbing ancient trees, wading warm rivers and long lazy days spent basking in the summer sun. And even though I'm under an entirely different sun this time, two to be exact, the whistling breeze and glorious rays of sunshine remind me of a simpler time.

"How do you like the view of our city from the sky?" Leon's husky voice slips into my ear, as he leans over me, stirring me from my reverie.

"It's breathtaking." I reply honestly, my eyes sweeping over the vivid colors and sparkling castle spires made of crystal beside us.

"It's all so beautiful." I add, turning to face Leon who's standing disturbingly close to me.

"Yes it is." He responds staring directly at me. I turn away from him, trying not to let the compliment annoy me. Why can't Loki ever be this direct?

But when I turn back to meet Leon's gaze, his eyes seem to burn with such passion that I'm caught off guard by their intensity and instinctively leap to my feet.

Without missing a beat Loki is standing at my side, his imposing figure leaning over me protectively. "Are you getting seasick Kamilla?"

His voice is chillingly calm, but even though the tone of his voice suggests he doesn't really care, something in his expression is pinched and I wonder if he just doesn't like the idea of Leon getting too close to me. As if he has any say in the matter!

I'm about to tell him it's none of his damn business, when he continues speaking, clasping his long fingers behind his back firmly and gazing out into the horizon. "Riding a in a glorified hot air balloon, is a lot different than a spaceship. It might take a bit getting used to."

Indignation and fury burn their way up my gut but before I can reply to Loki, Leon cuts in, "Well if she can handle a spaceship, she'll be quite alright." Leon's piercing eyes sweep over Loki, as if he's trying to decipher something perplexing, then he adds. "Cora won't drive any faster than this, so you needn't be worried Asgardian. In fact, based on my experience with spaceships, this vestibule is much safer than any spacecraft."

Loki's expression falls flat, and I weasel myself away from him, closer to Leon.

"Piss off Loki!"I snap.
Feeling surprised by the intensity of my sudden outburst, I add, "Don't concern yourself with my well-being, Loki. I don't need a babyitter."