Chap 30: The Coming Trials

Loki:

I reappear back in my own guest room feeling supremely annoyed, I can't understand why Kamilla would come on to me, only to push me away. That's not how my interactions with women typically go! Women always find me charming and I'm not usually rejected. Perhaps she's just trying to toy with me. If that's her plan, then she's messed with the wrong villain!

She was so much easier to understand when she couldn't lie to me. I exhale wearily and shake my head trying to clear my worrying thoughts.

"Ikol, show yourself" I command as I sit down on the flimsy white guest bed. Really, you'd think they'd have something a little more befitting of royalty!

Immediately the black raven appears perched on my shoulder; his feathers sleek and shining.

"Yes, my handsome and irresistible master?"

"While everyone is resting tonight, I want you to spend the entire night searching for Knull's hidden prison."

"As you wish, my Golden God." Ikol replies lowering his small body in an embellished bow.

"And don't come back until you've combed every square inch of this planet." I command as I curl into the bed and exhaustion overtakes me.

The next morning I wake early, with every intention of snooping, but as soon as I leave my room I notice Kamilla's guestroom door and hesitate in front of it. Suddenly I hear footsteps and vanish from sight, watching the corridor quietly as the sun rises outside. My loathsome cousin Hoder strolls down the hall and stops to knock on Kamilla's closed door. Slyly, I maintain my invisibility and watch him without alerting him to my presence. Kamilla answers the door on the second knock, her violet eyes dewy and soft, her hair pulled back tightly in a topknot. She's wearing black leather pants and a silver glittering halter top that appears to be made of glowing crystals with a high neckline. I glide a bit closer as my eyes roam her body greedily, careful that no one can see or hear me.

"Good morning, my Lady, you're looking rather beautiful today." Hoder announces cheerfully.

Resentment churns in my gut, Hoder's always been able to charm even the most uninterested of women. A small part of me flares with jealousy, she's my apprentice! And absolutely no one gets to toy with her, but me!!

Kamilla grins and her eyes twinkle in the soft orange morning light, "Good morning to you too Hoder."

"I trust you slept well, my fair lady."

"I did, thank you."

"Well then allow me to be your tour guide and escort you to the dining area for breakfast." Hoder waggles his eyebrows playfully, as if performing on a stage. "We specialize in all manner of delicious foods prepared by Myntril himself. But don't let his fearsome size and hairy paws scare you, he has been known to whip up some delightfully delectable treats." He gallantly extends his meaty arm to Kamilla smoothly, before adding with a wink, "And I must say, so far none of them have been tainted by his furry and ferocious nature."

I roll my eyes at his pompous chivalry as Kamilla accepts his muscular arm graciously. Arm in arm they stroll down the hall, directly opposite from the place I'm hiding. I'm about to follow them, when I hear distant footsteps echoing behind me. I glance backwards and spot Sif and Tarna strolling down the hall, headed my way.

"Ikol!" I whisper quietly, "Have you finished your job yet?"

Almost my liege. His bird voice chirps sharply in my mind.

"Well get your feathered ass over here and spy on Kamilla and Hoder, so I can keep tabs on them."

I'm on my way, Lie-smith.