Chap 28: Forever The Hermit

Loki:

I wasn't completely lying when I said I'd invented the game.
Nearly a thousand years ago, when I was in Persia, I came across an arcane game that had yet to be developed to its full potential. I of course, promptly stole their concepts and improved the game considerably, so that it could be used to practice battle strategies. I was so desperate to please my father, that I presented the newly improved game to Odin as my own invention. He was so impressed by the game that he sent Thor and I to teach the civilizations of Earth, Vanaheim, and Alfheim to play the game. I sigh, that was back when I was dumb enough to care what Odin thought of me. I unscroll the map from my pocket to track our progress. Yesterday we passed through nine portals, so we should reach the planet Klyntar by midnight tonight. I lean my head back against the chair and close my eyes, best case scenario: the planet is deserted except for Knull in his cage. Worst case scenario: we fight him and anyone else to get to the All-black Necrosword.

Half an hour later I hear Kamilla's soft footsteps approaching from behind me. Effortlessly, she slides into the seat next to me and I catch a whiff of a sweet perfume that smells like jasmine with a hint of vanilla and mint. She places a large plate in front of me and sets the other on her lap and begins nibbling on her breakfast.

"Thanks for taking care of me and feeding me, yesterday and today." She mumbles between mouthfuls.

I nod silently and glance at the plate in front of me; hot steam wafts off the fluffy yellow omelet.

"I thought I'd return the favor," She adds, "But we don't have a whole lot of ingredients to work with in the kitchen. It's mostly dehydrated vegetables, jerky, crackers, cookies, canned soups and eggs. I don't suppose you happened to grab any bread, while we were at the refueling station?"

"No, they only had food that wouldn't expire. Besides I can conjure fresh food whenever I like."

Kamilla pauses mid-bite, "Then can you manifest some bread? I've been craving French bread since yesterday!"

I stiffen, "I'd rather not."

She pushes her dark curly hair behind her ears as she eyes me with a knowing look, "You must be really worn out then."

I purse my lips but don't reply. Why does she always have to run her little mouth?

"Well why don't you teach me how to conjure things into existence, so I can help out around here?"

"You think you're strong enough to handle that kind of spell?" I taunt raising a condescending eyebrow.

"Surprisingly, yes. I feel better than I ever have. I feel, well... unusually powerful today."

I grimace, Of course you do, some of my magic flows through your stupid veins! I school my expression carefully, "For more advanced spells it helps to channel magic from powerful sources. Typically, I channel magical energy from Asgard, just like the rest of my family. But since Asgard is gone, we no longer have that convenient option. Fortunately, during my time with Thanos and the Black Order, I trained under Ebony Maw and he taught me how to effortlessly channel magic from the Dark Dimension."

Kamilla gulps nervously, "Yeah um, the Dark Dimension is kinda forbidden for a reason. You know, since it has the inconvenient side effect of turning people into mindless monsters."

I nod gravely, ignoring her sarcasm. "Indeed, that can happen. But only if you spend too much time there, and only if you're dumb enough to get caught." I give her a coy grin, "Don't worry, without some sort of magical relic, or sling ring, we can't open the door to let Dormammu out of the Dark Dimension. So there's no way to leave our dimension and enter his, but we can magically reach the anchor I've placed on the other side of the door. You can find it, if you know what you're looking for."