Chap 33: The Goddess of Stories

Kamilla:

We're still standing just outside the woods, when Loki's finished outlining the details of our plan. He cocks his head and tosses his black raven to the sky to keep an eye out. Then he turns back to me, running his hand through his short black hair, his expression suddenly serious.

"So, you understand exactly what you're supposed to do?"

"Obviously." I reply, running through the plan in my head.

"But before we go," I change the subject, my curiosity getting the better of me. "What's the deal with this place? Why is this castle in ruins? And how long has it been abandoned? It seems like no one's been here for centuries."

"More like ten thousand." He shrugs, his eyes briefly sweeping the ruins ahead of us. "I'm told this was once the seat of power over all the realms. Long before the time of peace, before the Vanir joined forces with the Asgardians. Back then, the Vanir grew so powerful, that for two centuries, civil war tore them apart. Once it finally ended, the Vanir left the city and its corrupting castles walls; choosing to become peaceful nomads, ruled by the All-mothers and protected by the might of Asgard." He pauses indifferently, clasping his hands behind his back, "But of course that was long before my time, and like I always say; there's nothing interesting about history if I'm not in it."

"That's basically what I told you the day we met. Life is more interesting when you're in it." I say softly, the image of that first moment clear in my mind. His bird-like gaze flicks to me in surprise, and my cheeks begin to heat.

"So- um, let's get this thing going then." I add hastily. "No time like the present." Immediately I will my enchanted armor to morph into a simple purple sleeveless dress, fit for a wandering nomad. The dress is lightweight and breathable, the fabric smooth and silky against my skin. Then I use my magic to transform my normally wild brown locks into smooth blonde hair and pull ot tight behind my head. "There, now I no longer look like a warrior or a sorceress. I'm just a regular girl." I announce, placing my hands on my hips.

Loki shakes his head as if to say; Is that the best you can do? Then he closes his eyes, and suddenly his entire body flickers and distorts as powerful waves of magic roll through him, causing his body to glow in swirls of bright gold. I watch fascinated as his short black hair suddenly shimmers and begins grow into long silky spirals that sway as if sentient. At the same time, his narrow-angled face becomes softer, gentler, and noticeably more female. And even though I've seen him once as a female in Thor's dreams, I've never actually seen him during his transformation, and I can't help but think of the scene from The Beauty and The Beast as I watch his body morph; surrounded by bright light and magic. His hollow cheeks grow rounder and rosy, while his pale lips grow fuller and take on a seductively dark green shade, the color of wild ivy. And briefly I wonder if his lips might be as poisonous as they look. Then his Asgardian armor transforms into a shimmering green and gold velvet dress with long billowing sleeves in a style that looks almost medieval. I gape in awe, as his normally slender frame shifts and folds in on itself, only to be replaced by elegant swaying curves; his green dress accentuating his wide hips and breasts. Then the bright magic recedes and the light starts to fade, until standing before me is a very convincing woman. He's almost unrecognizable, and yet everything that makes him Loki remains the same. As a woman, there are still traces of his former self, and he's just as regal, his head held high and shoulders thrown back with an air of pompous royalty. Even his choice of clothing is as overly formal as it always is, and his mannerisms are just as magnetic and alluring.

His transformation complete, Loki cocks his head and grins, his voice suddenly as smooth as the sound of rushing water, "Like what you see, my dear?"