Chap 14: Familiarity Breeds Contempt

Loki:

The next morning I'm awoken by the sound of the bedroom door shutting quietly. It doesn't take much to wake me; I've always been a light sleeper. I hear Thor's unnecessarily jovial voice call out, "Good morning Milla!"

He's always so damn chipper. I let out a small smile, as much as I've tried to hate him, I just can't anymore. I've missed everything about him. I slip out of bed and use magic to change into my favorite black suit. Then I snap my fingers and change into my black, gold and green Asgardian leathers, not wanting Thor to poke fun at me for wearing all black again. I look in the mirror and use magic to smooth out my tangled black hair. When I notice that my skin is looking sallow and drab, I cast another spell to give my skin a healthy, subtle glow. I turn to my side and roll my shoulders back, admiring myself in the mirror. I look damn good, as always. I exit the room feeling confident, but am caught off guard when I see Thor in the kitchen swooping Kamilla off the ground into a giant hug. I scowl, as a twinge of jealousy burns inside me. Great, I'm stuck as the third wheel with these two stupid lovebirds.

I clear my throat loudly, and Thor quickly sets Kamilla back down.

"You're welcome Thor, let me know if you need me again tonight" Kamilla tells him warmly.

I grimace, "So what's for breakfast?" I ask loudly, intentionally cutting them off.

Thor grins, "Allow me." He reaches up into a high cupboard and grabs a colorful bag and plops it on the table.

"Breakfast of heroes!" Thor announces proudly. It's a large bag of sugary cookies that appears to have come from Earth.

Kamilla's eyes widen, and she asks cautiously, concern filling her voice, "Um, is this what you eat every day for breakfast?"

"Yes of course. I told you, it's a breakfast for heroes." Thor replies, clearly unashamed of his bad eating habits.

I smirk. "Well this explains how you got to be such a large size, brother mine."

Kamilla purses her lips and glares at me, clearly not liking that I continue to make fun of his size, so I raise a challenging eyebrow in response.

"Try them, Earth food is quite delicious!" Thor exclaims, dismissing my insult as he reaches into the bag and grabs a handful of cookies, eating hungrily.

Kamilla takes one herself and smiles, "Yes, I've had them before, they are tasty."

I roll my eyes, they're both degenerates. I use my magic to conjure an apple and eat it slowly, savoring each bite. By the time I finish, Thor has consumed the entire bag of cookies. I cringe, Disgusting. "You should be more careful about what you eat."

"Why? I'm still stronger than you." Thor taunts his voice challenging.

"There is no way in the nine realms, that you're stronger than me." I reply with a tight grin. He always used to make me feel weak and powerless, but now, I just smirk. Now he's evened the playing field. For the first time in my life, I'm in better shape than him. I'm undoubtedly stronger and faster than he is. I can take him down easily.

"Prove it." Thor challenges eagerly.

I narrow my eyes and roll my shoulders back, enjoying my surge of confidence, while actively ignoring the creeping doubt and insecurity that creeps up my spine. "It would be my privilege." Instantly I conjure my horned helmet and grin wickedly, "This is going to be fun."

Thor squares his shoulders and takes a step towards me, his eyes gleaming mischievously as he stretches out his arm to summon his ax.

"Wait!" Kamilla calls out. My gaze snaps back towards her, annoyed by her interruption; I almost forgot the little wench was here.