Chap 40: Ill-fated Lovers

Loki:

The Little Witch is nestled between my arms, sleeping soundly in my bed back on the spaceship, as we soar quietly across the galaxy. My body hums with warmth as my mind flits back over everything that's happened today. Watching Kamilla shamelessly flirt with Leon had me afraid she might replace me. The thought had horrified me. Gutted me even. After all the time I'd spent with her, she'd become so much more than I could've imagined. Her steady friendship was something I never really knew I needed. Kamilla somehow wormed her way into my life and became my best friend. All I knew for certain were two things: that I couldn't lose her to someone else and that I certainly couldn't let Death show up and take her in my stead.

I pinch the bridge of my nose tiredly, shame crawling up my shoulders as a slow sigh rolls out of me. I should have never agreed to that. Never planned to turn her over to save my own skin. She deserved better. A million lifetimes worth of better. And every part of me ached to give her that.

As her and I danced the night away earlier, I'd swore to myself that once Death finally showed up, I'd do everything in my power to keep her safe. After leaving the dance floor, Kamilla had led me to her guestroom and pulled off her mask, kissing me deeply as it clattered to the floor. When she finally pulled herself off me, her eyes were both tired and deliriously joyful as she began pulling the pins from her unruly hair.

"I'm so exhausted." She'd announced wearily as she magically transformed her dress into black shorts and a t-shirt. "It's been an emotionally draining day."

Kamilla crawled into her bed gesturing for me to join her and I obliged eagerly, allowing her to nestle her soft body against my chest. After I'd magically removed my suit and put on pajama pants, my skin began to sing as her smooth hands caressed my exposed chest. Everything had felt so perfect that I'd wondered why we hadn't done this sooner. Kamilla's violet eyes flicked over me curiously and she let out a long slow sigh, as if she too was thinking the same.

"This is nice, and way better than I'd imagined." Kamilla murmured softly, "We really should have done this a long time ago."

"Is that so?" I teased, grinning ruefully.

She'd nodded, her eyes sparkling ferociously in a way that I couldn't resist, so I focused my efforts on taunting her. "And what would you have done differently my Little Witch?"

She chuckled softly, her breath hot against my chest as she lifted her chin to face me. "Well for starters I'd have swept you off your feet when we first met, If I'd known you'd be this responsive to my smooth moves."

I'd chuckled, then nodded thoughtfully. "Yes but then I suppose if you'd done that, I wouldn't have come to respect and admire you, as I do now."

The little minx raised a suspicious eyebrow at me as her fingers trailed lightly against my forearm. "Hmmm..." She'd murmured soft and sultry, "does this mean the God of Mischief might actually see me as his equal?"

I'd given her a playful nudge, my gaze darting away introspectively. Maybe I do. Perhaps the Little Witch really has proven herself to be more. I'd thought to myself, before turning back to her, hoping she could see the truth in my eyes. "Yes. You are my apprentice no longer, but my partner. How does that suit you, my darling?"

Her lips parted slightly in surprise, as if she hadn't expected me to take her seriously. After a moment, she cracked a smile. "That suits me just fine." She murmured as she nestled herself close to me and closed her eyes, her tender lips still parted in a smile. Then after several minutes of silence, she asked slowly, "I can't stop wondering if Aelsa could have killed Nixx's daughter. Do you think she could have?"