Chap 39: The Masquerade

Kamilla:

I hear the sounds of the ball long before we arrive; the roar of laughter and swell of music reaches out to us, the clamor of excited voices growing louder as we draw closer. Sif leads me into a large sprawling room with high arches and stained-glass windows lined with long tapestries depicting heroic elvish feats. Several giant chandeliers hang from the ceiling, their vibrant light illuminating the huge crowd of people while casting brilliantly colored shadows on the walls. A tangible excitement fills the air as several musicians play uniquely carved instruments in the corner of the lavishly decorated ballroom. The wild melody is intoxicating and upbeat, a glorious melody of exuberance and celebration, that immediately makes me want to dance. I watch as hundreds of elegantly dressed elves wearing extravagant masks chatter and mill about carrying goblets and plates, anxious for the dancing to start. In the very back of the room, sits a giant glass table laden with endless piles of exotic foods, some of which I recognize from earlier. Sif nudges me past the noisy crowd to the front of the room and together we glide toward Queen Aelsa who's siting on her throne above the dance floor. The Queen wears a royal blue gown dotted with white stars and see-through gossamer long sleeves that seems to shimmer in the low light. And a silver belt cinches her wide waist and accentuates her ample hips, while also drawing attention to her large bosom. Her thick white curls cascade around her shoulders and rather than letting a mask obscure her identity, she wears a decorative helmet made of twining metal and silver blue feathers that catch the light. Tirza is seated to her left, wearing a simple yellow sleeveless gown that compliments her pale skin. Her white hair is pulled back into two braids and she dons a white feathered mask in the shape of a swan. As soon as the Queen spots us in front of the crowd, she waves us forward excitedly. We move closer and bow before the Queen, but she gestures for us to take the seats to her right, dismissing our formalities once again. As we take our seats on the dais, my eyes involuntarily scan the room until they land on their target: Loki wears a gold shimmering suit and teal mask, filling his glass with red wine in the back of the room as several male and female elves fawn over him.

The Queen raises her hand, signaling the musicians to immediately cease their playing, "Welcome nobles and Elvish Folk." She announces authoritatively, her voice suggesting she's had decades of experience commanding a room. Immediately the elves go still and silent, their full attention on the Queen. Loki gulps down his wine and sets his glass down as he glides across the dance floor and toward the dais, the only moving figure in a sea of masked figures waiting patiently on their Queen.

The Queen gives a quick monologue about their history and freedom from the Dark Elves, highlighting the importance of the Festival of Liberation as Loki makes his way to the dais and takes the empty seat next to Tirza.

"And so, in remembrance of the Asgardians who saved us so long ago," The Queen pauses then gestures to her left and her right, "I have invited two Asgardians many of you may recognize. Loki and Sif join us, along with their Midgardian friend Kamilla, as our distinguished guests."

The elves let out a happy cheer, stamping their feet in excitement. "Long live the noble Asgardians!"

Sif smiles appreciatively and nods, so I do the same, slightly overwhelmed by the elves increasing enthusiasm. Then the Queen claps her hands together, silencing the crowd with a look, "Let the Festival officially commence!"

The elves let out an excited roar and immediately the band begins to play once more, the melody is wild and alluring as it swirls all around us. I watch the masked elves begin to jive and twirl in a chaos of glittering limbs as they stamp their feet and dance in time to the music. From the corner of my eye I catch sight of a skinny pale skinned women her black hair spiked high in two sharp horns dancing with her back to me. She's wearing a gothic style black gown, layered with several petticoats as she throws her hands in the air and sways.