Chap 12: The Lovers Quarrel

"OH IS THAT SO?" I hear Thor shouting at Loki as I dash across the ship

"Don't hate the player, hate the game." Loki's voice retorts maliciously.

"You're going to eat your words! I will destroy you!" Thor yells back.

"Not if I kill you first!"

I run faster through the ship, fear thrumming through my veins, then I skid to a halt as I reach the cockpit. My heart is hammering wildly in my chest, until I see that Thor and Loki are sitting at the dashboard staring at a screen playing, to my utter surprise... a video game. My body relaxes as I realize they're both holding what looks like iPad's, playing some sort of fighting game. I let out a relieved breath, as Thor howls in dismay.

"I WIN AGAIN!" Loki shouts his voice beaming with pride. "I hate to say I told you so.. but well actually I don't hate it at all. I told you so!"

Loki continues to gloat, as Thor glares at him with narrowed eyes and throws the iPad toward the ground in frustration. Without missing a beat Loki puts his hand up and stops the ipad midair with his magic.

"You've got to stop doing that, brother. There's no need to be a sore loser."

"Have you been cheating with your magic?" Thor accuses his voice low and dangerous.

"Don't be daft. You lost fair and square." Loki responds calmly.

"Can I play with you guys?" I inquire carefully, alerting them to my presence.

Thor spins around to face me. "Of course, Milla y-"

"Sorry but we only have two of these gaming devices, and Thor and I are very much in the middle of something."

For a moment I feel dejected, but I keep pushing, "Can't you use your magic to create another one for me to play on?"

Loki ignores me until Thor addresses him, his voice teasing, "Oh, that's a great idea! Surely a powerful wizard like you can manage that!"

Loki narrows his eyes at Thor, still ignoring me, "If I understood the technology behind this thing, then yes I could. But since I don't, I can't." He quips matter-of-factly.

The sting of rejection clangs through me, and immediately it's like I am a million miles away, and all I see is red. "Well fuck you too Loki!" I roar.

Instant mortification heats my cheeks, "Shit. I'm sorry, I don't know where that came from."
Loki's eyes swivel in my direction, narrowing at me, and I'm certain I see judgment looming in them. I can't bear it, so I turn my attention back to Thor, hating the sensation of helplessness and shame that curdles in my gut. Get ahold of yourself! Stay in control! I shout to myself internally.

Thor gets up and grabs the ipad that's still suspended in the air, then passes it to me saying, "Why don't you two play together, I was going to take a break anyways."