Chap 32: Vanaheim

Kamilla:

Several hours later, after reading has calmed my nerves, I leave my room to find Loki's cooked dinner for the three of us. It looks like some sort of red casserole stuffed with meat and spices. Steam wafts off the large dish in waves; the smell so pungent it fills the room and makes my mouth water in response. Loki sets the table as Sif enters the room, her pale hands on her armored hips, "Any chance you're trying to kill us?" She remarks in a fierce tone.

"You should be so lucky," Loki taunts, and I bite my lip to keep from grinning. At least he's in a much better mood than I left him. I sit down at the table eagerly, "Well, I'm starving and this smell truly is to die for!"

"I doubt it will be edible; the Asgardian casserole is a notoriously difficult dish to prepare." Sif retorts with a dismissive shrug. "And Loki isn't exactly known for his cooking."

"Oh, quit your blustering and just try it." Loki commands, as he slips into his seat. Sif gives him an accusing look and sits down gingerly, eyeing the food with disdain. Eager to ease the tension, I grab a heaping spoonful of the rice and meat casserole, and am delighted to find that its rich spices come alive on my tongue in a way that I've never experienced before.

"Wow, this is actually good!" I exclaim breathlessly between bites. "No, it's more than good; this is perfection!"

Loki simply watches us wordlessly, and though he doesn't seem affected by my compliment, he sits up a bit straighter and taller than before. He eyes Sif expectantly as she takes a small bite. For a brief moment, she seems worried, then her eyes light up and she grins.

"I didn't know you had it in you, trickster. This is even better than Fandral's family recipe."

Loki takes his seat, looking pleased, "Not many people know I'm such an excellent cook, but cooking food that has exquisite flavor makes it so much easier to mask the poison hidden within."

Immediately I choke on my bite, and Sif spits out her food, leaping to her feet. 

"I knew the snake couldn't be trusted!!"  She exclaims ferociously, her face turning dark red as she glares at Loki, danger sparking in her eyes. I force myself to swallow down the food in my mouth, even as the food I've already eaten turns to lead in my stomach. He wouldn't poison us ... would he?

Loki's eyes roam over us full of glee, as he smirks smugly. Then he casually picks up his fork as if nothing has happened and begins eating without another word.

I let out a wild laugh, realization setting in, "Damn, you really had me going there!" I elbow him in the ribs, and he groans in response, while I continue eating.

Sif's wary gaze snaps towards me, "Is this some sort of Midgardian joke?"

I grin, "Yes, he was just teasing. He knows better than to poison us."

Sif grimaces, "I much prefer Asgardian jokes." She grumbles to herself as she sits down gracefully and puts her dagger back in its sheath.

I look at Loki questioningly, but before I can ask what Asgardian jokes she's refering to, he clarifies, "She means riddles. Asgardian's are known for riddles, rather than jokes."

"Weird." I say; intrigued, "Tell me some riddles then."

Loki rolls his eyes at my excitement, then obliges my request. "Fine, since you two are such dull creatures I'll give you a riddle meant for children... what invention allows people to see through walls?"

"Magic." I guess, choosing to ignore his condemning tone.

"Don't' be foolish, only Heimdall can see through walls." Sif answers matter-of-factly without looking up from her plate.