Chap 8: Schemes Upon Schemes

Kamilla:

"You'll see." I taunt as I put the book away and conjure a portal. I focus carefully on the location my contact told me about; the place I'm headed is an old pawnshop in Brooklyn that's a front for selling illegal weaponry. I make sure that the portal appears in the back room, hoping no one is around, but even if they are, I know I'll be ready. I conjure my magical swords and step through the portal. As soon as I reach the other side, I take stock of my surroundings, the room is dark without any windows, so I wait a moment and let my eyes adjust to the darkness. It looks like I'm inside an old warehouse, when suddenly my nose stings; sensing an overwhelming smell of dirt and filth. To my right are several tables loaded with various illegal weapons with unusually advanced technology. But I don't have time to wonder about them, as I scan the room for movement. Luckily, there's no one here, so I search the room methodically, looking for a safe. I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to leave Vibranium out in the open.

I spot an old-looking rusty metal safe in the left corner and rush to it. It's got to be in here! I cast a spell to open the safe, but before I can complete it, I hear voices and approaching footsteps. I duck under the table, cursing under my breath. Then I hear the door creak as someone steps inside, I can see brown loafers and grey sweatpants from underneath the table and I let out a silent breath of relief, it's just one guy. Even though I heard three distinct voices, as long as I'm quiet I'm certain I won't attract anymore unwanted attention. Time to get into stealth mode, and take him by surprise.

The man begins whistling an old show-tune, so I wait, my knees locked in a crouch, breathing silently through my nose. Once he's closer to the table I'm hiding beneath, I swing one sword at his legs, before I roll out from under the table. He lets out a cry of shock, but I leap up and press my hand over his mouth, stifling his screams as I slit his throat. I gently lower him to the ground to avoid making any noise and rush back to the safe as he bleeds out. One less illegal arms dealer in Brooklyn. I think to myself, trying to dismiss the guilt I feel. I know I didn't have to kill him. But why should I spare a thug? He would have killed me in a heartbeat or done worse. I vanish my swords then cast a spell causing the safe to break open with a slight cracking sound. I hear footsteps just outside, so I grab the vial of vibranium from the safe and lunge to the portal and leap through. I land safely in the hallway back inside the Sanctum. Then turn around to close the portal, only to find that a black haired thug has followed me through and is sprinting towards me at full speed.

"What the hell do you think your doing?" He growls, his voice angry and raspy. The man with slicked-back hair lunges towards me, his hairy fists narrowly missing my head as I dodge quickly. Immediately I spring forwards and swing my left fist into his face, then sweep my leg up to kick him forcefully in the chest. He grunts painfully as I knock the wind out of him, then backs away from the portal before pulling a revolver from his pocket.

"That's cheating!" I snap impatiently, as I cast a spell that teleports the gun from his hand to mine, then I make it disappear.

"You won't be needing that." I snap, before lunging at him and pummeling him with my fists. I knock him to the ground and pin him down with my fists. Punching him over and over, relentlessly, letting my fury take control.

"Die, die, die!" I roar, I let the familiar rage coat my thoughts, propelling my movements as I beat my fists against his skull. I can see nothing but blood and flecks of white, as I drift far, far away.
Perhaps I could fight off this impulse, if I really wanted to, but I don't. It feels too good to give in, just as it doesq everytime. Too good, to let my rage surface and transport me to another place entirely. To demand the world take some responsibility for my suffering. To give back what I've so often been given. Vengeance is mine. Let him know true suffering, as I have.
I keep pummeling him, lost in a fiery daze, until I hear Loki distantly calling my name.