Chapter 23

||Adriana's POV||

"Oh shut the hell up!" My mother screams into Joaquín face. "Why won't you stop crying!?"

"Mom thats what babies do! He's only two years old." I roll my eyes, clearly annoyed by her stupidity.

"Well come get him I can't deal with this shit right now." Her cigarette moves up and down from the corner of her mouth as she spoke.

When I grab Joaquín he immediately stops crying.

"Oh now the little fucker wants to shut the hell up." She rolls her eyes and lites her cigarette.

"He's not a fucker!" I yell out of frustration.

"What did you just say to me?" She squints her eyes.

"Nothing." I'm such a coward.

"Thought so. Now go upstairs and take the baby with you." She takes another puff.

I grab Joaquín's sippie cup and head upstairs making sure to stomp my feet on every step.

When I get into the room, I slam the door and Joaquín immediately starts crying.

"Shh shh, Im sorry." I wipe his tears from his eyes and run my fingers through his little curls.

——————————————
As soon as he's sound asleep, I begin playing around with the antenna trying to find a good station to watch.

I settle on the station named "Qubo" as usual. As I'm watching Jane the dragon I hear arguing from downstairs.

Great. Joaquín just went to sleep.

I leave the room and go down a few steps trying not to let my mom see me.

"I told you I had 1kilo of crystal meth and you smoke almost all of it! Like what the fuck! Im supposed to be selling it and here you go smoking it all!" The angry red haired man yelled at my mom.

"I'm sorry, It was just so good I couldn't sto-"

I jumped as I watched his fist make contact with my mothers face.

"Don't do that shit again! Next time I'll break your fucking nose! You understand me!?" He stood over my mothers now shaking body.

"Y-y-yes, yes I understand."

He walked out the house, not forgetting to slam the door behind him startling me and my mother in sync.

My mom remained on the floor sobbing.

A creak on the step echoed and I could tell it caught her off guard.

"Hey mom." I slowly walk down the steps.

"Hey sweetie, you hungry?" She quickly wipes her tears away and stands to her feet, swiping her hands together trying to get the crumbs off."

"No I'm not hungry, are you okay?" I follow her over to the mirror and watch her attempt to fix her makeup.

"Oh yes I'm okay, I'm great." She nervously chuckles.

I guess she didn't see me.

"Are you sure? Because I saw that man hit you and I just thought-"

"I said I'm fine Anna, please don't bring whatever you're talking about up again! Okay?" She looks at me through the mirror.

"Fine, I was just trying to help." I frown at her dismissal.

"Yeah you're always trying to help! You stay in other people's business twenty four seven! Like Jesus fucking Christ Anna just shut the fuck up would you!?" She pants after her mouthful of disrespecting words.

I try to fight back the tears but it doesn't work.

Just because she an adult and my mother doesn't mean she can just talk to me like this.

She wants to be disrespectful? So can I.

"You know what? You're right! I do stay in your business all the time. Sometimes I wish you would just fucking die so I wont ever have to look at you again!" I scream at her and run upstairs.

When I get to the room, I slam the door which wakes up Joaquín.

Fuck.

I walk over to comfort him.

I just want to live my life. Just me and my brother.

I'll never be nothing like her! I'll make sure of it.

I look down at Joaquín in my small arms. His eyes are glazed from his tears only moments ago.

"I promise to always keep you safe no matter what."

——————————————
OMFGGG YALLLLL! Lol little flashback chapter has to be one of my favs thus far bruh! It's short but that's alright I just wanted to include a little back story. DONT FORGET TO VOTE COMMENT AND SHARE! you guys always forget to vote lol. EXCUSE ANY SPELLING ERRORS.
Word Count: 737
-Ro❤️