2

"No, no, no!" Jason exclaimed.

"No! Gross! He's my brother," I quickly said.

"Really? I've known Jason for five years and I've never heard of a fucking sister," the chick snarled. 

Ouch. That hurt.

"Well, I don't know what to tell you, sis. I am his sis," I retorted, rolling my eyes and pretending I wasn't hurt from the fact Jason hadn't told this long-time friend about his only sister. 

"Alena, calm down, please. I swear she's my sister," Jason pleaded. 

Ew. I liked grumpy Jason more than desperate Jason.

Alena examined the both of us for a few moments before opening her mouth again.

"Why haven't I ever heard of her then?" she asked, suspiciously. Jason looked at me, back at her, opened his mouth, and then closed it again. It was quite comical.

"Chill the fuck out," I spat, now extremely annoyed by Alena's high-pitch voice. "He's a jerk who moved out at 16 without giving 2 fucks about anyone else, which is why you haven't heard of me."

"Excuse me? Watch your language, Jessica," Jason ordered. 

I rolled my eyes again. Interesting how he went from acting like a complete stranger to a dad in a matter of a few seconds.

"Fine. I believe you. But why is she here?" Alena asked, completely ignoring me. 

"Our parents passed away," Jason sighed. "Elliot and I are the only family members left who can take care of her."

I felt myself get angry at his words. It was annoying how he acted as if he was doing me some big favor by moving me across the country and forcing me to leave behind my friends to live with him. 

"Not that I need you or anyone else," I interjected. 

Alena looked at me with an amused look, that made me even angrier, but Jason just looked tired.

"Please, Jessica, just go to your room. I'll call you when dinner's ready."

"It's not my room, it's your room. My room is in my old house. The one you guys have up for sale. Remember?"

"The one the bank has up for auction, yes Jessica, I remember. Now, go to my room and stay there until I call you," Jason sternly said, now full on frowning.

I wasn't going to let him win on our first day together.

"I'll take a walk actually," I said, grabbing my jacket and pushing past Alena. She over-exaggerated and acted like I had tried to shove her to the ground. Jason opened his mouth to supposedly yell at me, but took a deep breath instead. 

"Fine. Just keep your phone on."

-

I was sitting on a bench in a park a few blocks away from the apartment building listening to music when a guy my age sat beside me. I looked at him, waiting for him to say something but he just looked back at me, with a goofy smile.

 I looked at him, waiting for him to say something but he just looked back at me, with a goofy smile