21

"What is what?" Elliot asked, pushing me off to take the phone out of Jason's hands.

"Uhhh," my voice wavered, as I looked back in forth between Jason and Elliot, who was now reading the text messages.

"Why is Ben asking you if you had anything to do with Cassidy's hair being cut off today?" Jason growled, his eyes dark with rage.

"B-Because, I... joked about it," I quickly said. Jason obviously didn't buy it, so I went on with my lie. "I joked about it one time, so he thinks that I did it. But, I didn't. Obviously."

"Really?" Jason narrowed his eyes in disbelief.

"Yes, really. God, Jason, how would I even do it? I was in class when it happened!" I exclaimed. 

Elliot finished reading the messages, and just stared at me as I nervously bit the inside of my cheek. 

"How do you know when it happened?" Jason asked, probably thinking that he'd caught me in my lie. 

"Because I heard about it! People were talking, Jason! Why can't you just trust me?"

"Trust you? You know what, Jessica? I'd LOVE to be able to trust you, but you keep pulling stupid stunts like this every second day. And apparently, twice today!" Jason yelled, getting dangerously close to my face.

Elliot pushed Jason away from me, still holding my phone in his hands.

"Calm down, Jase. Seriously," he instructed. Elliot looked over at me, with his brows furrowed in frustration. "Just tell us the truth, Jess. I can't handle anymore of this."

"I'm telling you the truth, Elliot! C'mon, you really think I'd lie after the ass beating I just got?" I retorted. I watched Elliot's face loosen as he seemingly believed me. Jason, however, was still enraged. "Jason, I didn't do it. I just joked about it. Honestly," I lied, keeping my voice steady. 

"Jase, Ben was only asking her about it in these messages. You gotta trust the kid, this is getting ridiculous," Elliot sighed, pressing the phone into Jason's chest.

"Well, I don't trust her and I don't believe her story," Jason spat.

I held my breath as I angrily replied back, "I told you, I'm not lying!"

Everything was quiet for a moment, as Jason continued glaring at me. The tension in the air was thick. 

"Fine. You best believe I'm going to get to the bottom of this," Jason snapped, pointing a finger in my face before walking out the office, taking my phone back with him. 

I let out a sigh as I slumped back onto the chair. I glanced up at Elliot after a few seconds, realizing that he was still standing.

"You didn't do it, did you?" Elliot quietly asked.

I looked him in the eyes, and said, "I didn't, El. I promise."

-

The next day, I angrily confronted Ben.

"You bastard!" I spat, sliding into the desk beside him in English.

"What?" Ben innocently asked. 

"You almost got me killed!"

"What?!" 

"Jason has my phone! He read the messages you kept sending about Cassidy!" I hissed.

"Ohhh! Oops," Ben sheepishly smiled. "I didn't mean to."

I rolled my eyes, facing the front as more students began to take their seats.