31

I approached Jason's bedroom door, and to say that I was terrified would be an understatement.

But the way I saw it, I had no other choice. I could probably find the midterm questions and answers for Stephanie, but there was no guarantee that she wouldn't blackmail me again or tell Jason about the whole Cassidy-thing anyways. 

Despite knowing all of this, I still hesitated in front of Jason's door. 

I could wait until tomorrow. 

Or Sunday. 

Or Monday morning. 

Or—

"Jessica. What are you doing?" Jason asked, startling me as he opened the door.

"Uhhhh, nothing. Nothing," I quickly said, turning around to leave. 

Jason grabbed onto my arm, stopping me. He pulled me back so I was facing him.

"What is it?" 

"Nothing."

Jason frowned.

"You were not standing outside my door for no reason. Now hurry up and tell me why."

I opened my mouth to speak, but then quickly closed it. I felt nauseous at the thought of telling him.

Jason sighed. 

"Jessica, what is it?"

I took a deep breath of air, bracing myself. 

"I need to tell you something, but you can't be mad," I said, my heart beating faster.

Jason narrowed his eyes. If he wasn't already suspicious, he definitely was now. 

"What?"

"Promise you won't get mad."

"No," he scoffed.

"Fine. Then I don't have anything to tell you," I said, turning around to leave.

Jason groaned as he pulled me back again.

"Jessica, I don't have time for this. I will try not to get mad, alright? Tell me, now."

I gulped, my heart beat rapidly increasing. 

"You know...You know the thing that happened with Cassidy?" 

Jason's face immediately darkened, as he realized what I was talking about.

"You mean her hair getting chopped off?" 

"Yes."

"What about it?"

I fidgeted with my hands, looking down at the floor, as I tried to gather up the courage to tell Jason the truth. I couldn't remember the last time I'd had to tell someone the truth and been THIS nervous about it. 

Jason took a hold of my chin and pushed my face up so I was forced to look into his eyes. 

"Jessica. What about it?"

It was now or never. 

"I paid Jared to do it," I blurted out. 

He let go of me.

Silence.

Complete silence.

If looks could kill, I would have been six feet under. 

Jason let out a breath of air, and closed his eyes. 

I stood there, frozen in my spot.

Half of me wanted to say "fuck it" and run out of the door.