19

In English, Ben and I waited to present our project.

"You smell funny," he said, scrunching up his nose as I took a seat beside him.

"That's rude."

"Sorry. I guess you're rubbing off on me," he grinned, making me roll my eyes. "Seriously, though-" he continued, "why do you smell like pot?"

"Uh, I don't know. Is it strong?" I asked.

If Jason caught a whiff of me smelling like weed, he would kill me.

"Kind of. Who were you hanging out with?" 

"Uhh, no one. I was sitting by the back entrance and there were some kids there smoking so, uh, I guess it stuck," I lied.

Ben seemed to buy it and nodded, turning his attention back to the current group of people presenting.

I wondered if Jason would buy it as well.

I was heading to Calculus when I spotted a very familiar face running through the halls, her face streaked with tears, and her hair shortened to a ragged bob.

I let out a laugh at the sight, pleased to see my plan work out so well.

"What are you laughing at?"

I spun around to see Jason standing behind me, with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Are you stalking me?" I asked, ignoring his question.

"No, I saw you standing over here and laughing so I thought I'd ask. What were you la-," he stopped his interrogation to lean in closer and sniff me. 

I took a step back and internally cursed. "What?!"

"You smell like marijuana," he accused, glaring at me.

"T-That's not my fault. There were a few kids smoking out back."

"Why were you at the back of the school?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No specific reason, I was just hanging out there."

"Hanging out by the smokers?" 

"God, Jason! I just needed a quiet place to clear my mind. Obviously, it wasn't a good spot to choose because apparently everyone goes there to smoke. How was I supposed to know? If you're done interrogating me, may I go to class now?"

Jason gave me a tight-lipped frown. "Yes. But, don't think I won't ask around and make sure you're telling the truth."

I let out a deep sigh, pretending like he wasn't giving me major anxiety right now. "Fine, Jason. Do whatever you want."

Stoner-kid wasn't in class, so I assumed he was hauled off to the principal's office. 

Eric Cheng, however, was in class.

"Hey," he smiled, as I took a seat beside him.

"Hi." I curtly said, trying to subtly show him I was mad.

"What?" he asked. "You wake up on the wrong side of the bed?"

"How did your Physics test go?"

Eric chuckled. "Is that why you're pissy? I told you that's not why I took you out for lunch."

"Cheating is still wrong," I said, glaring at him.

He rolled his eyes. "No, making tests that are so fucking hard that your students feel like they don't have any other choice but to cheat is what's wrong."

I kept quiet, pursing my lips.

"Look, I'll make it up to you. Lunch today?" he asked.

"No, I got in trouble with my brother last time," I sighed.