•Zavian•

{•Unedited•}
~Bex's POV~

"Did you even get anything down for the syllabus in English?" Marissa asks as she sits down on her bed, setting her backpack in front of her. The first day of classes was a lot more hectic than usual and I woke up way to early. Thankfully, Marissa and I have some of the same classes, so we didn't look stupid looking for our classes alone. I wouldn't be surprised if I lost a whole bunch of weight by the end of the year.
"That's one class I did. The rest were talking too fast," I tell her. She flops her body down. As soon as my eyes close I can automatically feel myself start to drift off. The sound of my phone ringing annoyingly at my side forcing me to move.
"Hey!" Connie yells happily on the other end. I close my eyes again, watching as the door opens and Alaric walks in. He sits down on the edge of Marissa's bed, taking out her notebook and starting to take pictures of the things she wrote.
"What's up?" I ask tiredly. If it weren't for this phone call, I'd be passed out right now.
"I just wanted to let you know that it's my dads birthday on Saturday and that you're invited. It's just gonna be a little thing at the house," she says. I sigh, not sure if I want to go back to that town so soon. I could easily run into my dad there, or Castel.
"Yeah, I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it since classes just started, but I'll try," I tell her. It's not a whole lie. I will think about going and classes did just start. I don't know how this weekend will look. We continue our conversation for a few minutes, catching up on each other.
"None of my professors are hot," Alaric says. "I'm genuinely disappointed in the school system. If they want their students to show up, give us something to up for. Having a hot ass teacher that looks like her brother would make me show up everyday."
    I lay in my side so I'm facing them. He's now started copying down her notes from the pictures he took. "There would be too much student teacher action," I tell him. He shrugs, not seeing what's wrong with that. "Your brother coming by?" I ask.
    "Not that I know of," she answers with a smile. After the other day walking around campus, I'm sure she knows I have feelings for him. The last few weeks it's felt like I've been nothing but annoyed by him, but the one day he's not around, I don't know what to do with myself.
    "Was someone hoping to see him?" Alaric asks with a wink and shaking his shoulders. I throw a pillow at him, hitting him in the face.   
   "He'll probably be by tonight like ever other night. Last night he got work too late," she tells me. I feel pathetic for hoping he comes.
    ••••••
                        ~Atticus's POV~

     "We already talked this morning," I tell Sheriff, sitting down in the chair in front of him. He wasn't happy with me this morning when I told him I hadn't seen her for the last few days. I've kept a distance, making sure I get myself back in the right headspace before seeing her again. I don't want to develop any real feelings.
    "Yeah, this is about something different," he says, his voice different from how it was this morning. I clasp my hands together, taking a deep breath. I went on a date with Bex, I hope he doesn't have anymore idea for me. "It's about your brother."
   "My brother?" My brother has been locked for the last three years in a maximum security prison. I wrote to him in the beginning to see if he knew his release date, but when he stopped writing back I assumed I'd see him when I see him.
     "He's on his way in here," he says. What? "He's been released. Don't ask how, because I have no fucking idea. I thought for the safety of everyone, it was best to release him with you." Wow, thanks. Seeing my brother for the first time in two years isn't something I would prefer to do in front of my boss. Zav can say something and get me in trouble.
      "No house or arrest or anything like that?" I ask. He shakes his head. The mother fucker has always had the best luck, other than getting caught of course. Anything, he's always been able to find a way out of, prison now being so expectation. I thought if there was one place he would be stuck in, it would be in there.
     "There's coming in," he says, rapping his ear. Just as he says that I can hear the mumbled words and loud footsteps. The door swings open, letting in two guards and my brother in front of them. He looks the same as he did when he went him, just shorter hair and more tattoos. He started getting tattoos at thirteen, so I can't tell if they're new or not.
    "Holy shit," he says, stepping up to me. I force a small smile. He gives me a quick hug, smiling at Sheriff dramatically. He knows he can't tell him shit right now. "Someone isn't a scrawny little boy anymore." Despite being the oldest, I was always mistaken for the youngest because of my weight.
    "It's been a long time," I tell him, keeping a straight face. "So I can go?" Sheriff nods at me, gesturing to the door. "But there is one more thing."
   "Yes?"
    "Make sure to see the girl."
  ••••••