01. An Enemy of the Elite

It is time to begin

It is time to begin...

CHAPTER ONE: An Enemy of the Elite

When I was a child, my Father played games. Caressed them, stroking his company, as one example, like felt silk across a poor woman's skin, the company seemed to be everything, but so was his wife, and his daughter...they were his everything too. All companies are played like that of games. Like chess boards and every chess piece seems to change. Even the King. The Queen too. He was an entrepreneur, for a company so vast and wide, it seemed so unattainable at the time, so far-fetched, so hard to reach and yet...it was done. It was achieved.

The games he played included reading.

Lots, and lots of reading.

'Pick out the problem'—he'd say to me, 'find the solution'—he'd encourage and aid when necessary, but only when I was at the desperate need for it. Mom despised it, his want to teach me such mature ways in the business world. I learned fast or not at all, he wasn't harsh, but he was strict. He wasn't soft, but he was loving. See, the dynamics between our relationship, my Father's relationship and myself is what was complicated. My Mom wanted to give me a normal childhood, my Dad didn't understand it, didn't acknowledge it because I wasn't living a normal life. I was the daughter of a multi-billionaire, of a company people use on their daily basis. Take Microsoft for example, everyone everywhere uses it.

That was the Parker's Enterprise. Everyone was using the software. Everyone knew how utterly unattainable it is for any other company to get on the same page, to walk the same pathway, to read the same chapter, to live in the same book. They couldn't. It was impossible. Improbable. Unacceptable, because it is not a company for everyone. It is and will always be built on blood, on bone, on lies and secrets and heartbreak...but love too.

The eulogy I gave wasn't heard by many. Guards surrounded the sight like insects in suits. I was born with guards surrounding me. With Mom's warm green eyes, Dad's astuteness and professionalism that I had to live up to. I knew that, I bleed that. But, it wasn't just living up to their expectations, it was taking on the job of Chief Executive, of running, of hiring and firing, of decision-making and...feeling this. Feeling so lost in the wilderness, walking on a rocky-road, no hand to hold or reach up to, no one to call Mommy or Daddy anymore.

That is what changed.

That is what broke my thirteen year old heart.

No more reading bedtime stories from Mom. No more teachings from Dad, even though I know there was more to learn, I know there was more to see. He couldn't speak from the grave. She couldn't love from the grave. He couldn't demand from the grave. And she couldn't calm me from the grave. But I could love them from where I stand on the green wet grass, on the blossoming temple, maybe even a shrine. Two completely different descriptions, but you get the idea. They were gone. I had ideas of why, but ideas of who...that was knowledge they took to the grave too.