21. The Rules To Reality

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: The Rules To Reality

"I seriously can not believe I am doing this, Miss Parker. I feel like James Bond on his numerous missions, saving the world at a silent pace!" Jamison cheers through the earpiece.

I roll my eyes, he's far too caught up in files to comprehend how successful fieldwork comes in the play. I glance around at the many cherished tables, decorated in priceless pieces, though it's literally all cutlery with extra design. I hold a glass of champagne in one hand and my purse in the other, I glance at the glass for a moment before trying hard not to cringe away, absolutely disgusting stuff. I've never been one for alcohol, the distinctive smell was enough to make me run in the opposite direction...an acquired taste I wasn't fond of and probably never will be.

Jamison was slightly over exaggerating when he states his current job requires 'saving the world', we're essentially establishing contact with someone who's been trying to expose specific files from within my company. Another one of Dark-wood's wrongdoings that I have to clean up. However, I know this has something to do with Celestial, because Aaron didn't have access to these kinds of files...Celestial Signs, an old establishment in the Parker's Enterprise that had once been dissolved is the only lead I have to finding out who was doing this. Who was selling our secrets and making a profit unearned, stirring up trouble in my company by releasing factual information to oppositions willing to walk in the dark.

The black market. Specifically.

We're essentially saving my company from expulsion and ruin. My silver diamond dress with a thigh high cut moves graciously with each step. Though, most of the women are stressed in highly stylish materials at this auction. Classic jazz tunes in the background, as many enjoy the perfect melody with an expensive dinner and dessert.

"Miss Parker, I believe I have found the target, should I engage?" He whispers, when I glance down at the bottom floor, he's currently at the bar, staring not so subtly at the target.

When I follow his gaze, I notice my job was a complete bust, the target is female, in a grand dark green dress, dancing with a bachelor of some sort.

"Do not engage." I order Jamison, once I notice her three standing guards and her six hidden ones.

Whoever the woman is, she's powerful enough to have stolen my files. It's rumoured she worked for Dark-wood, but I believe she still does.

"She's coming towards the bar." He whispers, turning towards the bartender and asking for another Martini.

"Act like you're the buyer." I instruct, he smoothly glances at her with disinterest, while I get to work in finding Edward Marshals social security number and bank details. Edward is the supposed buyer that Jamison and I located at a cafe in central city, and hacked into his laptop to get his login.

She casually chats with him, and he even manages to flirt, but acts professional. When she slides him the package and he brings out his check book, I relay the numbers and the different last name.