16. The Trip Of A Lifetime

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: The Trip Of A Lifetime

I stared at the files like a blind bat. I didn't even know what I was looking for, except I had one key word...and a two-metre high stack of assumptions. Celestial was the key. Or so I am to believe. Jamison and Stevens were concerned, being held at gunpoint is not an everyday experience, Jenny thinks I should speak with someone and I felt terrible for scaring Lia. Walking into their house like that...I felt phenomenally guilty.

"You look knee-deep in work?" I hear above me.

I sigh, "Daniels, I'm really not in the mood." I say to him, closing the folders and grabbing my bag.

He sits down, dark brown eyes stare at me in my periphery, "No need to get defensive. I'm not hounding you for a date with a girl I can see already has her own fucking problems, so instead of being a cold bitch, Poppy, you'll be polite and have a cup of tea with me." He says to me, Jace Daniels, of all people.

I give him a long look, "What did you just call me?" I ask him, slowly.

He stares through me, "You know exactly what I just called you. What are you doing here?" He asks me, slowly.

I grab my bag, he clenches his jaw, watching me. I give him a nonchalant look and step away from the table without being asked to sit back down, thankfully. Diana sends me a message to see if we're still on for this evening, when I glance across the street and eye the SUV, it wasn't Stevens, I've memorised our licence plates. I watch it leave the second I turn to step back on the school grounds.

My eyes narrow, I'm about to pull my phone out just to hack into the cafe's camera system, Carter nudges my foot with his, "You went for a cafe outing without us?" He says to me, smirking as he slides his bag on, "-we're still on for this weekend at the lake house, right? I'm in dire need for a bloody vacation after all the drilling tests they've put us through. Are you alright, you look pale?" He asks me as we both turn to face the school.

I look at him, "Mild headache, must be the stress. Yes, we're still on for tonight. I'm already packed." I murmur, furrowing my eyebrows as I look back at the school and see Rosa-belle fast-walking toward us, away from the bleachers where the entirety of the Elite group was watching.

"What happened to you two at lunch?" Rosa-belle asks as she checks the time, five minutes to the bell.

I look back over my shoulder, "Give me a moment, I need to make a phone call." I say to them, stepping aside and clicking on Stevens' name on speed dial.

He picks up in the first ring, "Poppy, sweetheart, is everything alright?" He asks me.

I sigh, "Stevens, I think I was being followed. I was at the cafeteria down the street of the school just ten minutes ago, an SUV was across the road, something seemed off about it. I'm sending you a photo of the licence plate now. I'm still on for a sleepover at a friend's lake-house tonight and this weekend." I inform him, my mind solely focused on that, not on the Elite stepping in to where Carter and Rosa-belle stand.