29. Jealousy Is In The Air...

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: Jealousy Is In The Air

"-so, it's not like it's another fancy ball, it's a simple high school party at my lake house!" He opens his arms, standing as hollers from the football team yell that they'll be there.

Ivan sits back down, smirking as he signs a few cheerleaders autographs. Diana rolls her eyes as she slips her hand in Trevor's on her shoulder. Everdeen giggles as Ryan whispers jokes into her ear, Carter munches drastically on a pancake while Andrew and Rosa-belle play 'swap spit' in the corner.

I have my laptop on my lap as I roll my eyes at Ivan's antiques. Maximus shares a smirking glance with Ivan, though he keeps a comfortable arm around the back of my chair as he converses with Ivan about the party.

Suddenly our bodyguard walks around the table, hesitant as he leans down to my ear, "Miss Parker, this gentleman has asked politely if he could speak with you regarding a few questions about one of the classes you are both in. May I ask for confirmation that he does not danger you in anyway?"

I furrow my eyebrows while Maximus suddenly looks curiously smug in his chair, massaging my shoulder absentmindedly. He shares a nod with the bloody bodyguard. I nod, strictly as a boy from my computer engineering class trembles as he stumbles up the steps, very shy when he makes eye contact with me, I raise an eyebrow when he blushes furiously.

The sound of a crack in the back of my chair captures my attention for a moment, as I glance at a stoically tensed arm. Maximus watches the boy that's my age with a hawk like expression on his prey.

Even everyone at the table stop what they were doing to watch what might cause Maximus to lose the switch on his calm aura he had a moment ago. Jared, the boy who stumbles towards me, fumbles with his glasses as he blinks in his blush, "Um, Hi...P-Poppy."

"Hello, Jared. What can I do for you?" I ask, after taking a sip of my tea, closing my laptop.

Jared gulps and takes a few deep breathes, "I was wondering if I...if I could possibly have your help on my website for class, it keeps coming up with an error and our teacher said to talk to our star student...I mean, h-he said to ask you if you were able to-um-help me?" He gulps more under Maximus' dark penetrating eyes.

I sigh, holding my hand out to his laptop that he holds in his shaky hands, "May I have a look?"

He nods profusely, kneeling down on the opposite side of Maximus as he sits between me and Diana. I move a few plates around as he holds the laptop out for me.

"I'm sorry for t-taking up your time, I was just really stuck-" I shake my head at his stuttering.

"No worries, have you always wanted to get into computer engineering?" I ask him, only slightly curious as he fixes his glasses to the bridge of his nose,

"Yes, Miss-um-Poppy. Your speech last year was actually very inspiring and I've seen your latest designs. You're absolutely legendary, all your reports are exemplary. I thought you'd be a bit different when I'd first heard about you in intermediate." He flutters, glancing up at my profile with dazed eyebrows.