30. The Reality Of Little White Lies

CHAPTER THIRTY: The Reality Of Little White Lies

The high school rave-look-alike amusement stream turned into quite the trashiest lake house I've seen within just a few hours of at least twenty different coloured taxis gathering as many students as possible into the backs of each vehicle. Also probably praying in hopes no teenager exercises their regurgitative reactions to a certain excessive amount of alcohol.

When I wake up this morning, I find I've had to literally kick out more people than I thought I would ever decide to do as I play the prick in the family and clean up the treacherous mess left behind of what most people would probably title as 'fun'.

I wasn't the 'party' kind of girl and my friends all knew that, they had to live through that but, Ivan pushed my buttons to the brink of isolating myself slightly from the party. Maximus was wrestling with the other boys in the pool as the girls attempted to push and pull to get me to join them. I wasn't having any of it so, I walked away with the shake of my head and a genuine smile returned towards them, before letting them play. Maximus had joined me not long after.

Once I'd walked down the stairs, flicking the kettle on, I notice that the group had all lounged around the couches and rugs in the main room. Snores filled the air, of all different kinds, too. I almost winced when I turned away and decided to get on breakfast, knowing I had much to do on my schedule for today.

I couldn't fill it with spending time with Maximus or catching up with the rest. I was merely far too busy to notice as I step towards the kitchen and begin what I hoped would be a reasonable breakfast after such a long night and probably an equally long morning.

I'd clicked on morning music, the best of today's list on the television in front of them, after opening the sliding doors and relishing in the chilled beach air of mid-morning.

I recreate pancake mixture, remove the concealed bacon from the fridge and slice a couple bananas into the stove, whilst boiling a few eggs in the time it took to hear the first groan of Ivan I believe, who's only now starting to arise, even in the chilly breeze.

Once I've finished with the fruit platter I put it all on the table, once I've cleaned that too. I place the glasses of juice on the table before jogging towards the car. I grab my work clothes from the bonnet and quickly get changed in one of the many bathrooms Ivan has in this lake house.

I'm at least dressed for work when the sound of someone flipping themselves into the dining chair I'd just cleaned has me straightening my suit. I quickly finish pouring the juice, a vibration in my pocket has me connecting the call to my smaller ear piece as I click to accept the call,

"Parker speaking." I say, smirking at Diana as I hold the phone to my ear, with my bare shoulder as I place the plate of bacon and filled pancakes in the middle. She pokes her tongue at me childishly, groaning as she holds both her temples in what looks to be a severe headache.