Chapter 25

Hey guys!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 25

       "Why the long face, Princess?"

       "What?" I mumbled over my folded arms that kept my head from hitting the picnic table. Trey sat on the bench beside me, his large back pressed against the wooden frame so he could watch the twins throw a football across the open grass.

      Rex left school to go do 'something', which none of the boys apparently knew what that was, and they pushed the subject far away when I asked. Though, I wasn't complaining when they suggested eating outside. The sun was bright, the air was warm for it being October, except for the wind, and Halloween was right around the corner.

       So why did I feel like a dark, cold, storm sat heavily on my shoulders?

       "You've been sitting like that since we got here, and that mopey pout is bringing me down. What's wrong?" Trey's warm voice didn't hide his concern, and those green eyes were narrowed in that calculating way they usually did. He always seemed to know more than he should.

       "Nothing's wrong."

       "Did Rex do something again?"

       I shook my head against my arms and blinked over at the overflowing parking-lot. His car was long-gone, though I was happy about that for once. The longer it took to tell him Jeslyn Mayne liked him, the longer I could avoid the inevitable, horrible, future.

       "Well, something must have happened. You're so mopey its practically streaming off you in waves and absorbing into my skin." He grumbled all gruff like, even though he couldn't hide the slight smile pulling at his lips. I let out a small one of my own, before it slowly fell away.

       There was a brief few seconds of silence between us before I voiced the very thing I knew would have me locked up, crying in my room for days. "Jeslyn Mayne talked to me today." I mumbled into my arms, my voice low even though it sounded as sharp as knifes in my ears.

       "Really? What did she want?"

       I let out a soft sigh and pulled away from the table-top so I could turn and sit like him. Our arms brushed slightly together, and his big man/boy body thankfully kept the chill of the wind off me.

       "She wanted... She wants me to tell Rex she likes him." I tried to keep my attention focused on the Dimajios as they ran across the grass before falling to the ground and wrestling for that poor football.

       Trey stayed silent for a long minute, even though I felt those green eyes glancing over at me. "Are you going to?"

       "Why wouldn't I?"

       He shrugged, that always-watching gaze of his flickering back to the twins. "Well, you're obviously dreading it, and you shouldn't do things that make you so sad."

       "It would be wrong not to tell him."

       This time Trey sighed, and he ran his hand through his hair just like how Rex usually did. "It's not like you owe her anything, Rose. If you don't want to tell him, then don't."

       "I don't have a reason not to, and—and maybe he will like her back." I almost choked on those words as I forced them past my lips, especially with how tight that sudden fist around my heart seemed to squeeze.