Chapter 16: Dinner With The Families

Seulgi is in her room, trying on different dresses to make sure she looks presentable in front of Joohyun's family. She has five different dresses on her bed and she's trying every one of them on. Then her phone lights up with a call from Joohyun. She picks up and holds the phone to her ear. "Hi Hyun."

"I'm at the front, Bear. Come down here when you're done, okay?" Joohyun speaks.

"I'm still choosing a dress, I have to look good enough. It's a fancy party and we will have to mingle with people." Seulgi sighs.

"You don't have to mingle or anything. That's why we have Jisoo there to help us. We're there on a mission and you don't have to do anything that makes you uncomfortable. I'll be with you at all times." Joohyun assures her girlfriend, her voice filled with determination.

"Okay, I'll be right down." As she is going down the stairs, her Mom appears in front of her. "Where are you going, sweetheart? What's with the fancy dress?"

"I'm going to Joohyun's parents' anniversary party. She'll talk to her parents about us. I don't want Dad to go through all this." Seulgi's Dad slowly stands up from the couch. "Honey, you don't need to do this, it's just a few errands, I can handle this, you and Joohyun don't need to worry."

Suddenly, there's a knock at the door. Seulgi's Mom goes to open it to reveal Joohyun standing there with a guilty expression. "I'm sorry for eavesdropping and I'm sorry Mr. Kang for getting you in all this trouble. It's my responsibility and I love your daughter. I have to fix this, I feel really guilty to you and to Seulgi."

Seulgi's Mom comes closer and hugs Joohyun. "Thank you dear."

"I promise to keep Seulgi safe and happy. I won't disappoint you." Seulgi and Joohyun say their goodbyes to Seulgi's parents and drive to Joohyun's house. When they arrive, Seulgi is in shock. Sure, she knows that Joohyun's family is wealthy but in front of her right now is a mansion that is twice, be three times as big as her house. A row of cars parked in the yard, which she guesses are from the guests of the party. Jisoo and Jennie are already waiting in front of the gate, Jennie looks a little on edge but Jisoo looks absolutely confident. Joohyun steps out of the car and holds the door open for Seulgi. They walk towards the waiting couple and Joohyun speaks to Jisoo. "Have you seen them?"

Jisoo shakes her head. "Probably inside, haven't seen anyone important yet. Let's just go in." She takes Jennie's hand and lead her in with Joohyun and Seulgi follow suit. The staff of the mansion are clearly surprised, they haven't seen Joohyun shows up at this party for years now and now she suddenly appears with her Jisoo and her girlfriend in tow, the two people her Mom would be furious to see. The four girls walk to the mini bar and Joohyun asks the person to get them four champagnes. "Enjoy." Joohyun hands the glasses to the girls.

Jisoo downs her glasses in one go making Jennie widens her eyes. "Are you okay, Chu? You are intense today." Jennie asks with concern.

"I'm fine, it's been a while since I last set foot into this place." Jisoo sets her glass down and holds Jennie's hand, assuring the worried girl that she's ok.

"Now what do we do?" Seulgi nervously asks.

"Wait for my Mom to know we're here. That shouldn't take long, considering that I have never showed up at this party for the last 3 years." Joohyun sips her champagne slowly. And she was right, it doesn't take long. About a minute later, a staff comes up to them and asks them to meet her Mom at the living room.

"Hi Mom." Joohyun confidently greets her Mom despite the furious glare her Mom is giving her.

"What is this Joohyun?"

"What is what?" Joohyun feigns ignorance.

"Almost all of my guests know that I want you to marry a man from a wealthy family just like ours. I told them you were waiting for the right time to start dating. Now you appear at the party and do this. Another thing, why is a Kim here?" She says and gestures at Jisoo and Seulgi.