Chapter 28: In The Area Pt.2

It's been 10 minutes since Jennie and Jisoo leave them but Rosie and Lisa still haven't noticed the absence of their two friends. They are strolling in the garden at the back of the building, stopping to take a picture every now and then. Upon reaching the wide space overlooking the lake, they take their seats at a nearby bench, admiring the view in front of them. Both of them feel something strange going on with the other today, since they are uncharacteristically silent. Being the more impatient one, Lisa speaks up first.

"Did you have fun today?"

Rosie turns to look at Lisa. "Yeah, of course." She did have fun, but there's something bugging deep down that makes she feels she's lying.

"Well, that's good I guess. It's our first date after all, I don't want it to be the last." Lisa chuckles lightly, hoping to light up the mood a little.

"How about you? There seems to be something on your mind today." Lisa looks away from Rosie's eyes and stares at the lake.

"You'll know soon enough, it's nothing bad, I promise." Lisa stands up and holds out her hand. "Let's take some more picture here, it's too beautiful to miss out."

Rosie happily takes Lisa's hand and follows her to the railings. She leans on it lightly while looking at the vastness of the lake with the colorful sunset. Lisa holds up her camera and snaps a photo. Rosie is feeling the moment, holds out her arms and starts belting out the high notes of 'A Whole New World'. These times are the reason why Lisa starts developing feelings for Rosie, when the Aussie girl is singing, it's like she's in her own little world, the world that looks and sounds incredibly sweet for Lisa. Rosie jogs excitedly towards Lisa, jumping up and down.

"How was it?" She asks, referring to her mini concert earlier. Lisa smiles brightly and gives her two thumbs up. Rosie pulls Lisa towards the railings. "Come on, try. Just yell or sing something."

Lisa spread her arms and yells with all her might. "I'm the king of the world!"

Some people around are taken aback by the scream and give them a weird look but they don't even notice it. They are too busy laughing and messing around. At this moment, their surroundings look as if it is straight out of a painting. The lake is glistening with the remaining sunlight of the day with Rosie's hair fits in perfectly with the sunset. Lisa takes a deep breath and composes herself.

Lisa slowly approaches Rosie, who is now standing near the edge and gazing at the lake. She slowly snakes her arms around Rosie's waist and hugs the other girl from behind. "Is this alright?" Rosie tenses up for a little bit but relaxes into Lisa's embrace eventually. Lisa closes her eyes and rests her head on Rosie's shoulder, holding the other girl tighter.

"I don't want us to be just friends anymore." Lisa says quietly, almost like a whisper. "It's too hard holding back my feelings for you Chaeng-ah." Lisa reaches into her back and takes out a necklace to put it on for Rosie. Rosie's breath hitches in her throat, this is what she's been dreading the whole day. She likes Lisa a lot but she's not sure if that's romantically or just as a friend. Besides, the only thing on her mind throughout the year is studying and nothing more, she's never thought about a relationship, the thought just never crosses her mind. But she doesn't want to hurt Lisa either. Lisa is still holding on tight, waiting for Rosie's answer.

Rosie turns around and looks at Lisa right in her eyes, her face extremely serious with a hint of regret, pain and probably love, Lisa just can't tell right now. Rosie slowly reaches up and holds Lisa's cheek, her eyes start to water. "I'm sorry, Lisa. I'm not ready for a relationship now." She starts crying as soon as she speaks. Lisa pulls her in for a tight hug. "I understand Rosie. Just please, don't leave me." Rosie shakes her head frantically while still in tears. "Never, even if we don't become a couple, I'll be your friend." Lisa finally lets go and cries with some of her tears fall on Rosie's shoulder. They stay like that until the sun completely disappears under the lake, enjoying each other's presence, despite the emotions running wild in their hearts.