Chapter 19: The Obstacle Named Friendship

It's one of those days again, the weather is sunny but not too much, the kind of weather that makes people feel at ease and energized. But that doesn't apply to Tzuyu, in days like these she just want to curl up on her bed with a book or a movie on her phone and waste the rest of her day. Unfortunately for her, being a high school student doesn't allow her to do that. It it lunchtime and she is now sitting on the bench at the secluded corner of the school's garden, her favorite spot in the whole school, with a sandwich on her right hand and the Literature textbook on the other. It's not that she doesn't like eating with the girls, but the quiet and peaceful atmosphere of the corner always helps her concentrate better, especially when it's only two weeks until the final exams of her first school year. At first, no one actually knows about the spot but after a week of her suddenly disappearing somewhere, Nayeon and Jisoo quickly discover Tzuyu's precious hiding place from the world. She is reading through her notes on one of the short stories in the textbook while munching on her ham and egg sandwich and she doesn't enjoy this at all. She never lives up to their teacher's expectation in the subject. Sure, she knows and understands the meaning of the stories and poems but she can't find a good way to express that through writing. Sometimes she wonders how Jisoo does all that so effortlessly. She looks up from the book when she hears the small sound of footsteps approaching.

"Hi there. Mind if I join you?" Nayeon smiles, showing her bunny teeth. She has a few books on her arms and a lunchbox. Tzuyu quickly scoots over to make room for Nayeon.

"Sorry to disturb your alone time. But I'm ditched by the others, I don't wanna eat alone." Nayeon slowly opens her lunchbox and starts digging in.

"Where are the others?" Tzuyu asks, still keeping her attention on the textbook.

"Well, you know Momo and Mina, they always spend their lunch break together. But this is new, Lisa took Rosie out for a coffee." It would be a lie if Tzuyu and Nayeon say they aren't a little bit jealous of Momo. It's been 5 months since Momo confessed to Mina and they are still attached by the hip, they are that kind of couple that will probably get married later on and grow old together or something like that. Rosie is a whole different story. She is one of the girls that doesn't actually have a crush on anyone. She and Lisa have a 'Tom and Jerry' kind of friendship and they never went further than holding hands, not even flirting, although they grab a coffee together at least once a week.

Tzuyu sighs heavily and puts the book down, these short stories are giving her a headache. She glances over to Nayeon's lunch box and sees the most delicious spaghetti she's ever seen. Nayeon quickly meets Tzuyu's gaze and she holds the fork to Tzuyu's mouth. "Here, try some." Tzuyu mutters a small 'thank you' and takes a bite. She is genuinely surprised, the food tastes even better than it looks.

"Good, hmm?" Nayeon speaks up, interrupting Tzuyu's thoughts.

"It's awesome, where did you get it?"

"Jeonggie made it." Nayeon says with a small smile, her bottom lip between her teeth and a light shade of pink on her cheek. Then she quickly shakes her head and turns back to her food, her face full of emotions.

"Are you going to tell her?" It doesn't take Tzuyu long to know what Nayeon's thinking. Nayeon just shakes her head lightly, her hands unconsciously play with the food.

"It's killing me, Tzuyu. I think she kinda has an idea already but I don't want to ruin what we have. Maybe she doesn't want me to say it as well. I mean I'd rather stay like this than say it and lose her in the progress." Nayeon sighs and finishes her food. "A lunch box every Tuesday is enough to make me happy."

"I don't know if this helps or anything but I'm just gonna say it anyways. You two look good together. You understand each other, you always have fun with each other, I mean the only thing missing is that you two don't call each other girlfriends."