Chapter 29: I Just Can't

It's another busy day for Jihyo since she's the co-showrunner with Joohyun. The two of them have been smothered by work for days now despite having divided it to the others. The class group chat is overflowing with texts coming from many different people at once. Jennie and Jeongyeon updating their process for the food and drinks, Chaeyoung asking for materials to build the photobooth, Mina and Momo with the sponsors and the people delivering the stage props in the schoolyard. She is now sitting in the classroom in front of her laptop while trying to manage the admission forms for the audition in a few days. The air conditioner is on max but she's still feeling extremely tired, she already finished her third cup of coffee and it's only 11 in the afternoon. She closes her eyes and leans back on her chair to get some rest when someone enters the classroom. The person quietly enters the room and places a clipboard and a drink on the table but they don't realize Jihyo isn't sleeping.

"Hey." Jihyo says with her eyes still closed.

Seungwan turns back as she's leaving the room. "Oh, I thought you were sleeping. They have delivered the stage props, I've checked everything. They'll be back to help us put them together." Seungwan gives Jihyo the clipboard.

"That's okay. You checked already." Jihyo rubs her temples and glances at the drink on the desk.

"Oh, that's yours. I got you some orange juice, you've been drinking too much coffee lately." Seungwan hands the cup to Jihyo which the other girl happily takes.

Jihyo sips on the drink. "If there's nothing else, you can rest." Jihyo stretches her arms and rubs her shoulder.

Seungwan walks behind Jihyo's chair and places her hand on Jihyo's shoulders. "Is this alright? May I?" Jihyo tenses up and is about to protest but she's too tired, a massage is exactly what she needs right now.

"Sure, it's alright." Jihyo answers while closing her eyes and leaning back on the chair to relax. Seungwan's touch is soothing, not too strong or not too light, exactly how she wants it.

"Is this where you're hurt?" Jihyo nods and groans tiredly. Seungwan glances at Jihyo's laptop and sees the desktop background. She looks back at Jihyo who still has her eyes closed and whispers to the other girl's ear. "This is just like old times, right?"

Jihyo's eyes fly open and she shrugs Seungwan's hands away. "What do you mean by that?" Jihyo grits her teeth and stares at her keyboard.

Seungwan steps in front of Jihyo and turns serious. "Jisoo..."

"Ohh, you're looking for Jisoo, I'll call her for you." Jihyo takes the phone from her desk.

Seungwan sighs heavily and looks around. "There's no one here. You don't have to do this."

Jihyo tosses her phone back on the desk and scowls. "Does it even matter? What difference will it make?" Seungwan still keeps silent, she doesn't actually know what to say to Jihyo, not after what happened between them. "You, you of all people have the audacity to bring up the 'old times' with me Wan."

"I'm sorry. I-I know I screwed up. But I'm here now, I'll make it up to you." Seungwan pleads, eyes filled with regret.

Jihyo sighs heavily, she has been dreading this day since she saw Seungwan at the beginning of the school year. Maybe it's time to rip off the band aid. "Who do you think you fucking are, Son Seungwan? Do you remember what you said to me?" Seungwan stays silent, Jihyo's rage is something she's never seen before.
"Of course you don't remember, because you didn't say anything." Jihyo digs through her backpack and pulls out a crumpled letter and shoves it in Seungwan's hand. "Read it, read the damn thing." Seungwan slowly opens the old letter, its paper is old and crumpled, probably because it has been Jihyo's backpack for who knows how long. Seungwan also notices some stains on the paper that makes some words blurred but the most obvious thing about the letter is that it's been torn apart and stuck back together with duct tape. She can feel all things that Jihyo might have been through during the past couple of years. She begins reading the all too familiar words written on the paper, well, it's her handwriting after all.