Chapter Three - Present

Present

Victoria

My heart was going to leap out of my chest. Why was Tyler back? And how hadn't I heard of it? I took a sip of my Cosmo and tried to keep my attention diverted. Whenever Tyler was around, I had the same reaction. I could never act normal with him in the same room.

Given our past history together, if I was that girl he'd left behind ten years ago, I would've been a sobbing, curling ball on the floor. But, not anymore. Tyler wasn't going to be pulling the reins and controlling my life right now. I felt a nudge on my shoulder, and I found myself staring into a familiar face. It was Noah. There was a grin on his face as he wrapped his arms around me in a hug, "You look so gorgeous today, Victoria."

I smiled as I hugged him back, "why, thank you, kind sir. You don't look so bad yourself."

Noah and I had managed to continue being good friends throughout the years. When Tyler had left, Noah had tried his best to pull me out of my misery. Our respective fathers were best friends, they used to golf together, party together and everything else grown family men liked to do. Noah had been sweet and supportive throughout the years and was quite frank about his admiration and wanted more than just friendship, however, I'd always been taken to a certain blue-eyed demon. Everyone else kind of paled in comparison to him so I'd never led Noah on.

"The last time I saw you it was two weeks back." Noah pointed out. "You should go out more, Vicky." I noticed how his gaze flicked in that direction for a second before he looked at me, "You shouldn't let a certain bad memory haunt you throughout your life."

"You're right. Honestly, that's not really why I haven't been going to parties and stuff. The bakery needs my undivided attention, and I've always been busy with it. I like baking."

Noah smiled in understanding. Like me, he'd decided to stay in town after graduation. His family, the McCloy's owned a construction company, and Noah was helping his father and his older brother with their business.

"We should catch up soon. Are you free next week?"

"Well..."

"It would be fun. Let's go for a movie."

"Okay, I'll ask Hazel if she would like to go with us."

He shook his head. "Just you and me."

Something about this conversation was giving me a déjà vu.

"Oh."

"I'll text you." He said as a guy from school approached us and started talking to Noah, he politely smiled at me.

I wasn't very good at talking to people. There was a time in my life when I used to be a social bee, but that one year—ten years ago had changed it all. I was relieved when the guy pulled Noah's arm and led him towards the kitchen leaving me alone at the bar once again.

Slowly, I sneaked a peek in the direction that he was in and was surprised to find Tyler staring at me unabashed. His once smooth features were now hard, his jaw was ticking. He had no problem maintaining eye-contact. I stared back, refusing to back down. The intensity, and the loud music and the recalling of our past memories, it was a little too much for me to handle. I broke the eye-contact and looked away.

My head was spinning. Any direction that I looked in, I thought people were looking my way, talking about me and laughing at me.

She's such a slut!

I know right?

She was with him only because of his money.

Can't imagine why anyone would do something like...