Chapter Thirty Seven - Past

Past

Victoria

My mind had gone completely blank and my legs felt leaden as I stared at Tyler's convulsing body, and the way his eyes rolled back into his head like he was going through a demonic possession. It was seconds later that I rushed out of the room and screamed for the maid downstairs. With shaky hands, I dialed 911 and told them this was urgent.

For a brief moment, I thought I would lose him and the thought of that happening made me so sick that I had to make a run towards the bathroom to throw up. I tried to calm myself down and tugged his body outside of the bedroom away from where the snake hid underneath the bed.

I had all types of scenarios play inside my head; scenarios of me attending Tyler's funeral and when I imagined it, my life suddenly appeared bleak, and lonely. Bile rose in my throat and my body was shaking with fear for what was to come.

When his mother stormed upstairs and saw him lying on the floor, she shrieked loudly and broke into uncontrollable sobs, "My baby." She whimpered.

"Tyler..." I touched his cheek but he lay there, unmoving.

Mr. Lockhart and Morgan came upstairs when they heard the commotion. "What happened?" the question was directed towards me and his tone damn near melted me on the spot.

Mrs. Lockhart turned to her husband. "Jasper, do something! He's not moving!"

"H-h-he was bitten by the snake. I called for an emergency." I held Tyler's hand which had gone cold all of a sudden, and I had a bad feeling about this. I turned to his mother, "I don't want to lose him..."

"Nothing will happen to him." She assured me wiping away my tears; it appeared like she was trying to console herself rather than me.

"We have to take him to the hospital within thirty-minutes or..."I said.

Mr. Lockhart decided not to wait for the ambulance as he scooped Tyler up in his arms and ran downstairs not bothering with the elevator. By the time they were putting him in an SUV, the ambulance arrived. They said family could only ride in the ambulance and I wasn't exactly family so I had to drive there myself and my hands were still shaking.

Luckily, Archer arrived on time and he offered to drive me to the hospital and I allowed him.

* * *

When I got a look at Tyler in the E.R, my heart plummeted to the ground. He was intubated and kept on life support. There were all kinds of tubes running through his body and to make matters worse, I heard the doctor say that Tyler's heart had slowed down and they were going to administer him with a dozen vials of anti-venom and there were still chances that he may not wake up after that.

It almost seemed like the doctor declared that my life was ending soon and I couldn't breathe.

This was my fault!

If I'd shut up and decided not to question him about the bracelet, none of this would have happened. I should have let Tyler do whatever he wanted.

I was so caught up with all the things going on in my head that I didn't realize what was happening to me, or that someone was telling me to calm down and keep breathing.

I ended up being hospitalized on the same floor.

Tyler slipped into a coma and didn't wake up for four days. It was four torturous days of me being jittery every time the phone rang, I expected the worst but on the fifth day when I was in the waiting room, the doctors said that Tyler was showing signs of consciousness.