Chapter Twenty Four - Past

Tyler 

For a second, I wondered if this was a dream; Vicky half-naked in my arms, holding me tightly and brawling her eyes out. My fingers burrowed into her hair as I held her. Her soft skin brushed against mine and desire flickered to life. I was thoroughly aroused and if it wasn't for her crying, I might have taken her right here.

She was breathing erratically, and that's when I sensed something was truly wrong.

I tipped her chin up to face me, "Where is your inhaler?"

"M-m-my bag downstairs," She managed to choke out.

She was losing her breath and looked paler than usual. Her face was draining out of all the color and I needed to act fast.

I picked her body up from the dresser and placed her on the bed. "Do not move from here, I'm going to go down and find your bag. Okay?"

She held onto me, tightly, "Tyler, don't...don't...leave me..." there was fear so clear in her stormy gray eyes.

I smoothened her hair and kissed her head, "I need to either get your meds or the inhaler. I'll be here before you know it. I promise." I assured her even though it was killing me to leave her alone like this.

Getting her into the discarded t-shirt was going to be difficult so I pulled the bed-sheet lying there and wrapped it around her half naked body.

"Stay here, baby. I'll be back soon."

She nodded as she coughed and practically fought to breathe. "Ty..." she breathed.

"One minute. That's all I need." I said as I barreled out of the room without even having a shirt on, not giving a flying fuck that people had stopped and continued to stare at me as I ran down the stairs like a madman.

I looked at every single corner of the basement and came empty. The billiards table was crowded, but I plowed my way through the people and looked into every inch. I had at least spent five minutes when I found the bag lying on the kitchen table.

"Hey, man, what's gotten into you?"

I turned to stare at Archer, "your sister is having an episode."

As soon as I said that, he dropped his hand from the arm of some girl and followed me to the bedroom upstairs.

When I saw Vicky lying on the bed with her eyes closed and white mucus-like liquid spurting out of her mouth, I almost had what I'd call my very first coronary. She was out-cold, not breathing, not blinking, just lying on the bed, unmoving.

And that scared me BIG FUCKING TIME.

"Vic...Vicky!" I was by her side in an instant, and I picked her up into my arms and pushed the inhaler into her mouth, pumping relentlessly. "Breathe, baby, please..."

It was also the time when I had my first encounter with real fear. Fear of losing someone precious to me, fear of losing a part of me that I never knew existed.

I threw the inhaler aside and pumped her chest, "She's not...breathing!"

Archer stared at her and me in complete silence, he was going under shock I believed and he wasn't able to react. His body had gone stiff, his expressions were unreadable.

I ignored him and I wiped her mouth with my discarded t-shirt to perform CPR on her but she was still unresponsive. I never cried and I thought I was going to cry like a bitch.

"What the fuck you standing there for? Call 911! We need the goddamn ambulance!"

It's when I screamed in his face that he snapped out of the trance and reached out for his phone and began calling the emergency.