Chapter Fifty Five - Past

Past

Victoria

I'd developed insomnia since Honor's death. I couldn't close my eyes without thinking about my baby and it hurt so much, it was more pain than I could endure. Honor died because she had nasal congestion while I was nursing her and I kept blaming myself for her death. Sometimes it was just too much to take and I ended up having to use my inhaler to stop an asthma attack.

I went to school on autopilot, and even though I was sitting in the classroom listening to the teacher, my mind wandered back to the little girl with white-blonde hair and large sparkly blue eyes. At one time, I excused myself so I could go outside and cry.

I didn't miss the way other kids would spare me looks filled with pity and gossiped when my back was turned towards them.

"Oh look, another disaster by the Lockharts."

"That's what you get for getting involved with that family."

"But it doesn't seem to have bothered Tyler that much."

I was exempted from the cheerleading practices as I was weak after giving birth, I felt sick most of the time and the doctors said they'd encountered some complications with my uterus. Mom wouldn't talk about it, but there was surely something that was bothering her. She hated if I uttered a single word about Tyler's family as if they were responsible for everything that happened.

It was the last period, and I walked down the hallways of the school and saw Tyler storming out from the rink after hockey practice. He was still wearing his hockey gear, but the helmet was off. The dark brown locks of his hair had grown longer, he needed a haircut, I realized. He sometimes let me snip at them because he knew how much I loved running my hands through it, especially when he was coming inside of me and moaning loudly.

I'd mistaken it all for love.

It seemed like a distant memory now.

I was late to conclude that Tyler had used me to move towards his end goal—i.e moving into a separate house away from his father, more freedom, and stability. It had nothing to do with my needs, our love, or the baby.

I saw the boys standing by the locker; Tyler was talking to Brad, one of his teammates. I stopped myself from walking into them and stayed hidden behind the wall.

"Sorry about what happened, man." Brad said in a sympathetic tone, "Heard about your baby."

"I'm sorry too." I heard Tyler say in a monotone.

"So you and Victoria broke up now?"

"Hell no," Tyler said immediately.

Brad shrugged, taking off his skates. "You know Sophie? Green's sister?"

"The one with the big tits?"

Brad laughed, "Yeah, that one. She...uh...she heard you guys broke up so she was hoping to make her move on you. She's been waiting for you to break up with Victoria."

"And you're Sophie's spokesperson?"

Brad grinned, "Sorry man, she's been hounding me for ages to talk to you about this. I'll give you her number."

"Nah. She's not my type, and not really into super used goods." Tyler said, "Plus, I already told you I'm still with Lane's sister."

Brad sighed, "I don't get you, Ty. If I was half as good-looking as you, I'd be fucking five chicks a day. Everyone's noticed how Victoria's been giving you the cold shoulder for the past two weeks. The red-velvet cupcakes have stopped turning up in your locker, she doesn't smile at you when we pass in the hallways. She doesn't want you. Besides, it's your chance to move on now since the baby died."