Chapter Fifty Eight - Present

Victoria

I paid the cab fare and stepped out of the car. Archer's car wasn't in view and that was strange. I tried not to dwell on it much as I needed to warn both my siblings about a killer that seemed to be after me.

Why would anyone want me dead?

Okay, I had close connections with Tyler but I wasn't his girlfriend or his wife so Tyler's explanation that someone was after me didn't seem logical.

The house had all the lights on. I rang the doorbell, and when no one answered, I turned the knob which gave away easily. I stepped into the foyer and couldn't help but notice the dead silence that followed. Silence in the Lane household was usually never heard of. If the two out of three siblings were present we were either constantly bickering or laughing so this struck me as strange.

"Archie?" I called out.

A few minutes later, I tried, "Hazel?"

I decided to pull out my phone and call them until I saw the one bar of battery on it...

No! No! Please!!

The red bar blinked twice and then the phone died.

I stared at the useless device until I realized I could use the home landline to call them. Before I could reach the phone to dial the number, it started ringing.

I picked it up and hoped it was my brother. Hazel had sent me a text asking me to come home, but where was she right now?

"Vicky..." the voice was distant and I could hear static on the other end of the line.

"Hello?" I held the phone close to my ear. "Who is this?"

"Vicky...it's me, Noah."

I nearly cried, "oh my god. Noah, I thought you were dead!"

"They made people think I was. Listen, Vicky. This is a trap. This person who has me wants Tyler! You have to come to the location I ask you but do not tell Tyler about this! Do you hear me?"

"Who are these people?" I asked.

"Some mafia that Tyler's family pissed off." He sounded agitated, "They said if I involve the police I'll die. They want you here, I don't have a choice. I'm sorry."

I shook my head, "don't be! This is not your fault! And, I'm glad you're alive." I took a sticky notes pad and picked a pen from the holder. "Where are you right now?"

I wrote the address down on the pink square paper and hung up the phone.

I needed to call Tyler! I couldn't just be the dumb heroine from movies and follow some unknown location and end up in a bad situation. Someone needed to know about the call and even though I considered Tyler an asshole, I still trusted him with my life.

I picked up the phone from the stand and started scrolling through it for Tyler's number when I heard it.

I heard the sound of a gun cocking, and the cool metal of the gun's barrel licking the side of my face.

* * *

Tyler

I had never driven so fast in my life. The Lambo sped through the streets like a Cheetah running towards its prey. At this point, I'd cut through several stoplights. Throughout the entire drive, I kept thinking of Vicky and what I would do if something happened to her...

FUCK NO!

That was not an option.

I'd spent the last ten years trying to make sense of my life, telling myself that I was just overdriven by lust for her and that any other woman would be able to fix that. I thought if I could pretend that I didn't want her, I would be okay.