two

"Why did you suddenly leave?" My mom looked at me in disbelief, but I just gave her a peace sign. "Oh, you took a bath already. Are you going somewhere?"

"No, I just... want to look presentable." I said, helping her set up the table.

Her phone suddenly beeped and she looked at it. "Looks like he'll be here in a minute."

As she guessed, the doorbell really rang after a minute and a few seconds.

My mom opened the door and I eavesdropped on what they were saying.

"Are you Mrs. Yoon? My mom's friend?" He asked.

"Yes, I am! Come inside!"

I gazed at the boy intently. He was wearing a striped shirt and a denim short. He has a baby face but he was tall so, I'm not sure about his age...

"Sachi, why don't you accompany him to the guest room?" My mom suddenly spoke.

"Huh? Ohh, okay."

I led the way and he followed me from behind. I was wondering on how many days will he stay here because he was carrying a luggage.

"This will be your room." I said.

"Ah, thank you." He muttered.

It was quiet for a minute.

"Join us for breakfast downstairs." I smiled, looking friendly.

"I'll be right there."

After accompanying him, I went back downstairs.

"How is he?"

"I'm not sure, but I think he's just fine with the room." I replied.

As soon as I sat, the boy already appeared here in the dining room.

"Take a seat." My mom said. "Why don't you introduce yourselves to each other?"

We exchanged looks but no one started to speak.

"Uhh, my name is Dohyon Nam." He began.

"I'm Sachi Yoon. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you, too."

Man, that was awkward.

"It's been so long since your mother and I last met. We met in Korea where we studied college in the same university." My mom confessed. "After we graduated, we parted ways. I worked here in Japan and met my husband. I didn't know that your family is in Japan too until she contacted me."

"We just moved here few years ago, when I was 11 years old." He said.

"How about your parents? Why did they suddenly went back to Korea?" My mom asked.

"They had to take care of business matters."

"By the way, you can just call me aunt or auntie." My mom suggested.

"Okay... auntie." He hesitatingly said.

While they were busy talking, I just ate my food quietly.

"How long do you plan to stay here?"

"About a year."

I suddenly choked on my food upon hearing that. Not one week, not one month, but one year??