thirty three

"Eunsang!" I said when I finally saw him.

Just then, I remembered what happened few days ago. He told me that he wanted to say something to me after our performance.

"What do you want to say?" I asked.

"Actually, I'm supposed to say this a week ago. But I haven't mustered my courage that time." He began.

I waited for him to continue but I was distraught because my phone keeps on beeping. "Can you, umm... say it already? There's something I needed to do and--"

"I like you."

For a moment I was too stunned to speak, not sure if I heard him right. Maybe it was because of the way Eunsang stared at me that I blushed. Those words made me reminisce our memories back in elementary school.

We were eleven years old that time. We've been classmates for two years, but I still haven't talked to this particular boy. Sometimes, he would initiate the conversation, but I ignore him. Maybe he thought that I'm a snob. When the truth is, I was just too shy to talk to him in class. I can't really hide the fact that I'm awkward with boys because I never really interacted with them. I'm an only child and all of my play mates were girls.

One time, we were paired in an activity. That was the first time we talked. We found out that we were both only child--and we were both lonely. So, I invited him to come over to my house and play with me.

"Mom, mom! I have a new friend!" I excitingly said, jumping up and down.

"Who's this cute, little, young boy?" My mom gasped.

"I'm Eunsang! Eunsang Lee!" He gave a wide smile.

"Oh, my! You have a pretty smile!" She said, pinching his cheeks.

"Priki?" Eunsang said.

"What are you saying, Eunsang? What's priki?" I asked.

"I thought your mom said priki." He pouted.

"Goodness gracious, why are you two so cute?" My mom looked at us with admiration.

After that, we became close friends. He was the only boy that became my friend.

It was our graduation day in elementary school when we last met because he told me that his family will move to another place.

"Do you really have to move?" I frowned.

"Yes, Sachi. If I choose not to go, I will be left alone!" Eunsang said.

"Don't go!" This time, tears flowed from my eyes.

Eunsang hugged me. "Don't worry. We'll see each other again soon."

"Really?" I looked at him.

"Yes!" He smiled. "But why don't you want me to go? You also have friends in class that will move to another place."

"Because I like you!"

So yeah, that's what happened when we last met in elementary school. I liked him before, but I was very young then, too young to know what does liking someone mean. It's funny that after six years, he was the one who told me that he likes me. I didn't know what to feel about that.

"Sorry! I n-needed to go somewhere." I said, found myself almost stammering. Then, I left.

Argh! I'm so dumb, I thought.

On my way, I passed by the music room. I went inside, but Dohyon is not there. Maybe he got tired of waiting.

When I went back to the gym where the music festival is being held, the program is already done so, I decided to just go home. As I prepared to leave, someone called me.

"Oh? Why are you still here?" I asked.

"Isn't it obvious?" Dohyon said.

"It's not obvious at all. I don't have any idea why you're here. I thought you went home already." I said. "By the way, what's that something that you wanted to say to me?"

Dohyon stopped for a moment and leaned closer, our faces are only one inch apart. And that made my heart beat fast. "You're too late."

"Tch, does that mean that you forgot it again?" I smacked his arm.

He nodded while laughing silently.

Why do I feel like he just says that he has something to say, but he really don't? I mean, he just want to annoy me like that. Or could it be that he really has something to say, but decides not to tell it?